Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

MailArc and NNTP

Quote Reply
MailArc and NNTP
I think I've seen something about this before a while back but there seems to be no defined answer. Does anyone know how to use the MailArc plugin to retreive news from an NNTP server such as the plugin for Vbulletin or is this simply not possible - would make a great Xmas present (for me!) Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [David_D] MailArc and NNTP In reply to
Hi David,

Unfortunately this would not be such an easy change. Because we had the existing POP3 modules used by Gossamer Mail, making a Gossamer Forum plugin to use them in order to retrieve e-mail was a relative breeze. However, we currently have no modules for handling NNTP connections in any program, which would mean we would have to spend enough time to develop a module to handle an entirely new protocol, test it, work out the bugs with it, etc. I'm not saying it'll never happen - but I wouldn't hold my breath to see somthing by Christmas if I were you. Additionally I don't see as much use as for this as an e-mail list, given the sheer number of excellent web-based news archives already out there (Google Groups, for example).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] MailArc and NNTP In reply to
Fair enough but I had to ask. It would have been more use to me as we also maintain a very popular news server which receives around 2,000 -3,000 posts a day. We would have simply used this to beef up the forum a bit. Thanks anyway for your reply.
Quote Reply
Re: [David_D] MailArc and NNTP In reply to
But, if you have the ability to run a command on new postings (your news server may have this ability), then it would be very easy to write a script that would take a posting on standard input and insert it into the database (the mailarc plugin does pretty much that).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.