Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Adding a field to the sign_up form

Quote Reply
Adding a field to the sign_up form
Hi there,
I have tried to add a field to the signup form and have added it to my database. However I get a "Unknown Tag: 'user_extravalue'" in the field when I view it. Can somebody let me know where I should declare it in order for it to be picked up and inserted into the database when someone signs up ?

Thanks Jag
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Adding a field to the sign_up form In reply to
Did you add the column to your database directly, or did you go through Gossamer admin?

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Adding a field to the sign_up form In reply to
I added the field, name etc. through the database but I could easily drop it and create it again. What is the advantage of doing it through the gossamer admin and where do I do it ?

Thanks, Jag
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Gossamer's utility adds it to its internal structure as well as to the SQL table, so the script won't recognize it if you add it directly to the database.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Ok,
I'd been looking at it after having deleted the other one I created through the database directly.

However I still get the error. I created a new name in the form and through the admin area. They are both identical but the form seems to consider it to be an unknown tag as if there was some list it compares it with.
Significant Media
Quote Reply
This is the code I use :
<input class="button" type=text name=user_xxxxx value="<%user_xxxxx%>">
where xxxxx is replaced by the value name I use.

I then created a varchar(75) text user value called user_xxxxx form=20 and no key or index and null.

And still I get an error.

I want user to be referred by someone so this field is for the name of a person.

So I'm a bit stuck...

Jag
Significant Media
Quote Reply
I just tried pasting the AIM name code (which is a field in the edit profile form) from the basic profile form into the sign-up form and there is the same error ie unknown tag that appears. So I don"t know if someone has an idea where these values needs to be declared in order to be accepted by the script ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Try something like:

Code:
<td>
<input class="button" type=text name="user_real_name" value="<%if user_real_name%><%user_real_name%><%endif%>">
</td>
obviously with the field name replaced by the one you want.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Adding a field to the sign_up form In reply to
Hi Yogi,
I added this :
<tr>
<td align=right>
<%body_font%>Referrer<%/body_font%>
</td>
<td>
<input class="button" type=text name=user_referrer value="<%if user_referrer%><%user_referrer%><%endif%>">
</td>
</tr>
and added a
user_referrer varchar(255) not null etc. through the admin panel and it seems to work, no longer have the unknown tag error.

Thanks very much for your help.

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
I have just come across an issue where in the "User Modify Record" I get the error message : Column Referrer cannot be left blank. Is this something to do with the 'Not Null' function ?

Jag
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Yes, you should set not null to no if you don't want to not allow empty values in the referer field.

Wink

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Thanks for your answer, I just realised I had modified the AIM Name to referrer and had left it on not noll = yes thus the referrer was set on not null = no but since I stupidly left the other on yes I got the error thinking it was the referrer field. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Jag
Significant Media