Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

1.2.0 french version?

Quote Reply
1.2.0 french version?
Hi,

May we know when you think the 1.2.0 french version will be released?

Thank you.

François
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] 1.2.0 french version? In reply to
Hi François,

Our official french and german translators are currently working on the template translations. I can't give you an exact date as it depends on the translators, but I expect both to be available soon.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] 1.2.0 french version? In reply to
How about a french spell checker... ?
Quote Reply
Hi Jason,

I find it very long to translate just few new templates in french. Could you confirm me that GT will continue to release and support the french version?

Thank you.

François
Quote Reply
Yes the delay is suprising... and no one seams to think that a french version needs a french spell checker...
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] 1.2.0 french version? In reply to
I'm agree with you, a french spell checker would be really great!
Quote Reply
Hi François,

Yes, we do intend to release the french version of 1.2.0. Unfortunately, I am still waiting on the translated templates for the new version, but as soon as I receive them I will, of course, immediately put up the french (and german) 1.2.0 translated releases.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
4 months after the release of the english 1.1.2 version, the french 1.1.2 version still not released. Unsure

May we have some news on the developments of the french version?

Thank you.

François
Quote Reply
5 months later, still no french 1.2.0 version... I can't believe that it takes 5 months to translate few new templates. What happens guys?? Your franchise would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Hi Franco,

Unfortunately, Gossamer Threads is not able to handle the French translations ourselves, hence we have to rely on partners to help us with this. Due to the lack of strong demand for the French version of Gossamer Forum, our French partner is unable to spend time on translating it, hence the great delay, my deepest apologies. In future releases, we'll be doing the translations differently, and I would like to ask you for some feedback on this if you don't mind.

The question on my mind is whether or not a translated admin panel is worth the time. The problem has always been whether we should translate the whole program, admin side as well as user side or should we confine the translations to the user-side only, which would simplify the whole process.

Is a translated admin side really useful or just window dressing?

Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] 1.2.0 french version? In reply to
Hi Jack,

Thank you for your answer and sorry for the delay of mine.

To be frank with you, I think that the translation of the admin side is a waste of time and money. I'm pretty sure that 95% of your french buyers know the english enough to understand the admin panel...

Personally, I chose the french version because it was hard to translate some english markups like [-url] and [-email]. Now I would like to go back to the english version, but I don't if everything will work after... Unsure

In your features list, you tell that the scripts can be translated completely without any manipulation of the code. I own GForum and Links SQL and I can tell you after I translated both in french that we can't translate all the user side without modifying the source code. I think you should modify your scripts a way that the user side can be translated completely (at 100%); that seem more important than translating the admin side.

Is it possible to get the 1.2.0 french version without the new templates translated?

If you need some help to translate your scripts in french, you can PM me. I have experience in translation and I know well your scripts, html and the french language.

François

Last edited by:

Franco: Oct 30, 2003, 12:32 PM
Quote Reply
Hi François,

I've attached the 1.2.0 french version of Convert.pm. Because the french version used different markup tags (it supported [s] instead of [u], for instance, and [lien] instead of [url]), this is the one section of Gossamer Forum that won't work properly with an english 1.2.0 copy. Other than this one module, all of the code is the same - the other differences are entirely in the templates (and a couple images used by the advanced editor). If upgrading your french copy to the english 1.2.0, I recommend making backups of all of your templates as the base templates will be overwritten. You might want to simply rename the "default" and "default_top" template directories to something like "french" and "french_top" prior to upgrading so that they won't be overwritten.

The english 1.1.8 - 1.2.0 template diff is in the admin panel. The new files included with 1.2.0 are all related to payment support, and are listed in the second attachment.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Hi Jason,

Thank you for you post.

I update 1.1.8 french version to 1.2.0 english version. Everything works fine, except that the «prev» tag for the previous button in post_view_flat.html and post_view_threaded.html doesn't work anymore. When I check with <%GT::Template::dump%>, the prev tag is there but still always empty. The consequence of that is the previous button never appears in any thread. The «next» tag and the next button work however fine. Crazy

I tried to solve the problem by selecting in the admin panel «Create new default Gossamer Forum tables in this database but do not overwrite any existing data.» and after by selecting «Load table info from an existing set of tables (or resync the def files if you have changed your defs manually).» I tried by turning off SpeedyCGI and use normal perl (usr/bin/perl). I tried by using the original english 1.2.0 post_view_flat.html template instead of my custom one. I tried also by reparing and optimizing all the tables in the database. But any of those action solve the problem. Unsure

Thank you very much for your help. My forum has 3 000 visitors per day and it's strange to see since yesterday (since I updated to 1.2.0) all the threads without the previous button...

François
Quote Reply
Hi again,

I found the problem. I have a global called "pass" in post_view_flat.html and when I change its name to something else, the problem with the "prev" tag disappears.

The global is: "sub { return scalar $IN->param(shift) }".

It seem that a conflict appears with the main code when there is a global called "pass" (in the template: "<%set var_x = pass(var_x)%>"). Strangely, I never had this problem with 1.1.8.

Thank you.

François

Last edited by:

Franco: Oct 31, 2003, 1:49 PM