Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

ID'ing Templates

Quote Reply
ID'ing Templates
What is the easiest method for identifying the templates used to construct a page?
Quote Reply
Re: [Eric P] ID'ing Templates In reply to
There are descriptions of all user and email templates in the Resource Appendix at the end of the Gossamer Forum manual.
I was aware of that. What I meant is there an easy way to have any page tell you, through a comment or otherwise, which templates went into it. It would be nice to view a page source, or wherever, and know which templates went into it. Then you could easily pull those tempates up and modify as desired.
Quote Reply
There's no real way of determining the template that HTML is built from. The only thing I can suggest is checking the resources appendix to find the template the page you want to modify is built from, and then checking the body of that template for any include tags.
Perhaps in the future a template can pass it's name in a comment to the page source.
Quote Reply
We couldn't really do that, as the template parser is used for more than just parsing HTML - for example, it is used to parse and produce configuration files, or e-mails, where an HTML comment would be plainly visible. Also, suppose the included section was already inside a comment:

<!-- <%include some_file.html%> -->

If we added a comment in there it would cause HTML problems.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Inertia] ID'ing Templates In reply to
In Reply To:
There are descriptions of all user and email templates in the Resource Appendix at the end of the Gossamer Forum manual.

Wee request: The manual looks cool, but I had to hunt around a bit to find it. Would it be possible to add a link to it from the admin panel in future releases (if not just including it in future distributions)?
Quote Reply
Re: [Inertia] ID'ing Templates In reply to
In Reply To:
Where is that manual?Shocked

http://www.webconferencia.net/
Quote Reply
Re: [webconferencia] ID'ing Templates In reply to
http://gossamer-threads.com/...ts/gforum/manual.pdf

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.