Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Access Denied... HELP!

Quote Reply
Access Denied... HELP!
Hello,

On Saturday, I went to login to my forum, and I got a access denied (505) error. I have not touched anything about the forum since it was installed by GF because I am not a MySQL or script person by any means, so I am at a loss as to what the problem is and how to fix it. I have not upgraded to the 1.2.0 script yet.

Upon checking my error logs, this is what it reports. Can someone tell me what to do? And please phrase it so a 'dummie' can understand it? Thank you so very much...

GForum::Config (44333): Config file '/usr/local/www/vhosts/MY_DOMAIN.com/cgi-bin/spe/admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm' did not return a hash reference. at /usr/local/www/vhosts/MY_DOMAIN.com/cgi-bin/spe/admin/GForum.pm line 92.

[Mon Aug 25 09:16:38 2003] [error] [client 68.46.58.50] Premature end of script headers: /usr/local/www/vhosts/MY_DOMAIN.com/cgi-bin/spe/admin/admin.cgi
GForum::Config (44399): Config file '/usr/local/www/vhosts/MY_DOMAIN.com/cgi-bin/spe/admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm' did not return a hash reference. at /usr/local/www/vhosts/MY_DOMAIN.com/cgi-bin/spe/admin/GForum.pm line 92.
~§ophia~
Quote Reply
Re: [sophiabarton] Access Denied... HELP! In reply to
Has your webhost changed anything?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Access Denied... HELP! In reply to
Not that I know of.

I did have an incident though.

From Tueday to Saturday when I tried to login, I was on vacation and did not bring in my mail from the server. When I logged into the mail, it said trhe disk was full. I had to use pine to delete the thousands of mails from the server to allow my mail client to bring it in... and ... to let the server operate. Perhaps, that is what happened. Everything was fine before then.

If the GF has to write to a file, the disk was full and would not allow it? But now that the server is OK, the GF is broken.

??
~§ophia~

Last edited by:

sophiabarton: Aug 25, 2003, 7:11 AM
Quote Reply
If you download cgi-bin/spe/admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm , what does it look like? Is it corrupt? Maybe when you went over your disk space limit, it got currupt.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yikes... the file at:

/cgi-bin/spe/admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm

is BLANK!

Now what?
~§ophia~
Quote Reply
Do you have any backups?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I suppose you already know the answer is going to be no.

No, I don't.
~§ophia~
Quote Reply
Damn. I'm no expert on GForum, but my guess would be that your best bet is to install another copy of GForum somewhere else, so you can see what the Data.pm file should look like, and then populate the blank file with the settings from the test installation. You would obviously need to change the paths, database details etc.

I would offer to help...but I'm totally bogged down with work :( Sorry.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
If that file does not change... I do have a copy of it. However, this file was backloaded when you installed the GF originally.

I uploaded it and the forum is back up and running!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with this. I sincerly do thank you.
Cool

Now, it's time to get the courage up to upgrade to 1.2.0.

Thank you again!!!!!!!
~§ophia~
Quote Reply
Glad to hear it :) Maybe my Auto_Backup plugin would be helpful for GForum too.... once I get it working on LSQL Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Glad to hear it :) Maybe my Auto_Backup plugin would be helpful for GForum too.... once I get it working on LSQL Tongue

Cheers

I'm sure Shopia, myself and many other non-SQL/code folks would greatly appreciate such a plugin. I dread the day when something crshes on our forum!

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] Access Denied... HELP! In reply to
Yeah. Thats the reason for starting to write it. I've had a couple of close calls, and a few problems before with corrupt database. This plugin would be a great addition to LSQL... maybe I can even persuade GT to include it in the actual versions :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I've made some changes to GT::Config that should prevent this sort of config file corruption from happening again. GT::Config is the module responsibly for loading and the config, global, and language files in GForum and LSQL (and GMail, coming in 2.2.0).

The technical explanation: The old way was saving the data to the config file directly; if saving failed, you'd end up with a partial file, which is what happened here and has happened to other people a few times before. The new behaviour uses two files - the new data is saved to a temporary file, which is then moved over top of the first one. It also does verification to make sure that the temporary file was written correctly and entirely before moving it - and if a problem occurs (i.e. the disk is full), a fatal error occurs, the temporary file is deleted, and the original config file hasn't been touched. Keep in mind that if an error does happen because of a full disk, the error is likely to continue to happen until some space is cleared up. On the other hand, the old way an error would continue to show up even after the free space was cleared up, because the config file would have only been partially saved.

This attached file is a drop-in replacement for [/u]admin/GT/Config.pm[/u] (NOT Links/Config.pm, GForum/Config.pm, etc.) that prevents the problem from happening again. However, I still recommend you make a backup of your config file on a regular basis - it's just not quite as critical now.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Access Denied... HELP! In reply to
>>>>the new data is saved to a temporary file, which is then moved over top of the first one.<<<<

Very clever Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk