Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Possible Bug? Retrieve Lost Password

Quote Reply
Possible Bug? Retrieve Lost Password
A user was experiencing trouble with the lost password screen. He was receiving this error:

Home: An error occurred

No such action 'GForum::User'

I don't know what steps he took when he first received the error, but he then went straight to http://perlguru.com/...cgi?do=lost_password; and received the same error.

No matter what I tried, I couldn't duplicate the error. I asked several other people to try it, and they didn't receive the error either.

I then asked him to visit the home page, click login, and then click "Lost password?" He didn't receive the error that time. To my recollection, this happened once before with a different user, and the problem was solved simply by starting from the home page and proceeding from there.

Is this an obscure bug or something else? I have not modified any of the authentication or lost password templates.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to offer Smile

Last edited by:

Jasmine: Feb 20, 2002, 8:19 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Jasmine] Possible Bug? Retrieve Lost Password In reply to
This error occurs if you manually typ
http://perlguru.com/....cgi?do=GForum::User

so maybe there's a link somewhere on one of the templates that does that?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Possible Bug? Retrieve Lost Password In reply to
Thank you for your reply.

I just searched all of the templates, and the only ones I see with GForum::User in it are a couple of admin templates. But it also happened to the user when going straight to http://perlguru.com/...cgi?do=lost_password;

It's quite odd, actually.

The login.html template has <a href="gforum.cgi?do=lost_password;<%hidden_query%>"><b>Lost your password?</b></a>

I wonder if the <%hidden_query%> has anything to do with it, or even if the <%hidden_query%> needs to be there at all.
Quote Reply
Did he get a line number of where the error occurred? If you have debug on, the full debug info would be great to track this down.

As for hidden_query, it's used to pass the session and optionally a custom template set through if you aren't using cookies.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Possible Bug? Retrieve Lost Password In reply to
Thanks for the quick reply. I've asked [url=http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=AndyNewby;]him[/url] to log out, try to recreate the error, and let me know what turns up.

Thanks again Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Possible Bug? Retrieve Lost Password In reply to
I finally duplicated the No such action 'GForum::User' both here and on our forums consistently by:
  1. Logging out (Window 1)
  2. Open the "Lost your password?" link in a new window (Window 2)
  3. Log in successfully at Window 1
  4. Refresh the "Lost your password?" page in Window 2 (d'oh!)
I kept trying to find another way to get this error because it seemed odd that someone would want to get a temporary password if they were already logged in, but I couldn't make it happen any other way.

No biggie. I'll just tell people to log out before they click "Lost your password?" Wink

If this occurs in a different scenario, I'll post it.

Thanks again,

Jasmine

Last edited by:

Jasmine: Feb 20, 2002, 7:16 PM
Quote Reply
Maybe I still had a cookie on my computer Crazy Cos I DEFINATLY wasn't logged in correctly (i.e with the ability to post anywhere) when I got the error.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
The error was supposed to be something like:

Home: An error occurred

No such action 'lost_password'

It only showed up when you were logged in. I've fixed it for 1.1.2 so that even a logged in user can request a password be sent to them (though as you said, if you're logged in why do you need to retrieve your password?)

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Possible Bug? Retrieve Lost Password In reply to
Perhaps you logged in then forgot it Sly

...memory like a goldfish.