Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Pulling my hair out - Search Engine Template

Quote Reply
Pulling my hair out - Search Engine Template
Hi folks...

I just bought GForum today ... bought it specifically because I own Gmail and Glinks and love them. Gforum looks promising but the one feature I need the most isn't working - search engine friendly URL's.

Dug into the docs and nothing is covered that I could find so started through the friendly forums here - have tried every possible .htaccess I can find and still no luck....

I get a 404 not found no matter what I try and I know it's rules related in the htaccess I"m sure. (mod_rewrite is working on this server for other sites just fine).

Here's the last .htaccess I'm trying to make work (from other forum postings):

RewriteRule ^/$ /gforum.cgi?t=search_engine [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^/forum/.*P([0-9]+)/?$ /gforum.cgi?post=$1&t=search_engine [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^/forum/.*P([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)/?$ /gforum.cgi?post=$1&page=$2&t=search_engine [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^/forum/.*C([0-9]+)/?$ /gforum.cgi?category=$1&t=search_engine [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^/forum/.*F([0-9]+)/?$ /gforum.cgi?forum=$1&t=search_engine [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^/forum/.*F([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)/?$ /gforum.cgi?forum=$1&page=$2&t=search_engine [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^/forum/?$ /gforum.cgi?t=search_engine [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^/forum/.*gforum.cgi /gforum.cgi?%{QUERY_STRING} [R,NE,L]
RewriteRule ^/gforum.cgi /gforum.cgi?%{QUERY_STRING} [R,NE,L]

I can load http://website.com/gforum.cgi and then I get links like this:

http://site.com/...ing_C1/Cisco-NSP_F1/ which in turn generate 404 errors. I turned on debugging in modrewrite and it shows it working but I don't know enough about the rules to know that's wrong....

Help! ;) I've been working on this all day and frustrated....

Thanks folks,

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: [pauls] Pulling my hair out - Search Engine Template In reply to
Hi,

All looks ok to me - where do you have the .htaccess file uploaded? (i.e which folder)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Pulling my hair out - Search Engine Template In reply to
Thanks Andy for the reply....

It's loaded in the "root" directory (meaning root of the URL). I'd actually prefer not to have to use /forum but I'll tackle that once it's working.

On this same server under a different domain, I have Glinks running with .htaccess no problem (doing a lot of rewrite rules).....

I contacted Gossamer about this yesterday and they said they'll take a look but want a minimum one hour charge - guess I'll have to bite my lip on pay it... I need this site operational etc...

Thanks ;)
Paul
Quote Reply
Re: [pauls] Pulling my hair out - Search Engine Template In reply to
Hi,

Shoot over FTP details, and I'll take a quick look for you :) If its too complicated (i.e I can't work it out in a few mins), then you'll need to go the Gossamer route, and pay them to do it. I'm willing to give it a go for you though :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Pulling my hair out - Search Engine Template In reply to
A very SPECIAL thank you to Andy for help on this.... REALLY appreciate it....

Andy took at look at my .htaccess and found that I needed to remove "^/" at the start of each line to solve the issue....

I knew it would be something simple but couldn't have done it without Andy's support....

Cheers!