Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Proxy Error: Document contains no data

Quote Reply
Proxy Error: Document contains no data
Heya guys,

I received a couple of proxy errors on my site this morning (hosted with GT) which disappeared after a while.

There is at least one user now who seems to be unable to access her Private Messages. I logged in as her and got the same error message as her (below) when I click on the "Messages" link. All other users are fine as far as I know.

Code:
Proxy Error
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi.

Reason: Document contains no data

I checked the DB and all her messages are still in the DB. Thoughts?

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Proxy Error: Document contains no data In reply to
Hi,

That error means the mod_perl server did not return any data. Check your mod_perl error log (in domain.com/logs/perl_error_log) to see what the error might have been.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Proxy Error: Document contains no data In reply to
Alex,

This happens for one person only though... I just generated the error again and checked the logs. Must say I can't see it. I PM'ed you the last few entries in my log file.

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Ah, the bane of all perl programmers:

[Fri Feb 14 00:14:37 2003] [notice] child pid 18280 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

When perl seg faults, it usually means something really weird is going on (or it's a bug in perl).

Can you send me a pm with the users account info so we can log in and try and track this down?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Proxy Error: Document contains no data In reply to
Sent this on. Let me know if there's anything I can help with... or if you get an idea of what's causing this. Thanks Alex.

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Alright, well this is indeed an odd one. It's happening because some part of Perl's regular expression engine has a bug in it, which causes Perl, and hence mod_perl, to segfault. I've tracked this down a little more, and the bug comes down to having loaded Image::Magick (an image manipulation library) during the mod_perl startup - which makes about as much sense to me as it does to you.

I've put a preliminary fix up on your site, which gets rid of the problem. Right now, it seems a pretty isolated and remote possibility for this to occur, so I'm not going to post an official bug fix for this one until I can actually _fix_ the problem, rather than try to work around it. That said, the fix is probably a slight optimization over the old code, so it certainly doesn't have negative side effects to worry about.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Proxy Error: Document contains no data In reply to
I'm running into similar errors - seg faults and bus errors in the error log - and I wonder if I could get the details on the workaround.

I'm getting alot of these errors, so far only on the pages that display forums and posts (not on the forum index pages or the user profile pages).