Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Problem with "Expand All Threads"

Quote Reply
Problem with "Expand All Threads"
Hi,

When I click on "Expand All Threads" many replies appear at the top of their root post. See the attachment.

Also when I click on the "" of a root post, sometime others root posts become expanded at the same time.

Thank you.

François
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] Problem with "Expand All Threads" In reply to
It has to be the way you are sorting. Doesn't happen to me. Not a GF problem.

--
David
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] Problem with "Expand All Threads" In reply to
Fully-expanded forum view seems to have been a little bit broken for some versions of Perl. It should be working properly now, and is fixed for 1.1.4.

In Reply To:
Also when I click on the "" of a root post, sometime others root posts become expanded at the same time.

This is actually not a bug!

It happens because GForum remembers what posts and threads you have expanded. By default, when viewing in collapsed mode, nothing is shown as expanded, primarily for speed reasons - it's much faster to get a list of root posts than a list of root posts and any replies for expanded roots.

There are actually three forum viewing modes. The first is collapsed, the second expanded, and the third is called "expandable". Collapsed and Expanded are obvious - they happen when you click the "collapse all" and "expand all" buttons. You go into expandable mode when you expand any thread in collapsed mode (or unexpand anything in expanded mode). In expandable mode, GForum looks to see which posts you've expanded before and shows them as expanded.

The other roots that you are seeing expanded happens because you previously expanded them, and in expandable mode it shows whatever you have previously expanded. So, as a result, the one you expanded is added to your list of expanded threads, and you are shown it, as well as any others that you have expanded.

You can test this out by entering a forum and expanded a thread. Now, go through and manually expand a couple. Click the "Collapse all threads" button, and you'll see just the roots again. Now click to expand a thread - you'll see that the thread you just clicked on, as well as the threads you expanded before, are expanded for you.

Anyway, in short, this isn't a bug - what you are seeing is the one you just expanded as well as any others that you have previously manually expanded.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Problem with "Expand All Threads" In reply to
Thank you, Jason, for your answer.

Personally, I would prefer that Gforum doesn't keep in memory the expanded threads. I don't understand the utility of that. Is it possible to change it a way that Gforum doesn't keep them in memory?

Thank you.

François
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Problem with "Expand All Threads" In reply to
Jason see my post re: Errors I am running 1.1.3 do you think this is connected and will be resolved with 1.1.4, if so when is it available.

Wayne