Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Poll Plug-in

Quote Reply
Poll Plug-in
Does anyone care to hazard a guess as to whether a Poll function will be included in v.2. If it is, I can hold out ... unless the plug-in is that good.

Thanks

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] Poll Plug-in In reply to
The poll plugin is really good, I can't imagine anything an included version would have that it wouldn't. We have hundreds of polls with thousands of votes and have never had a problem.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Yes,
yogi has brought us a really great plug-in that I've never had any complaints about from my users. The only issue I had was because i hadn't followed the instructions properly.
It is also very easy to integrate into the forum even when extensive modifications have been made...
Also setting it so that only specific users like moderators can create polls is really easy for example...

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Poll Plug-in In reply to
I visited Yogi's page and couldn't find a clickable link to get the program although I found the links for other plugins.

The other thing is I'm an idiot when it comes to installing and editing these templates ... which explains why I want it as a "factory" option! Crazy

This is the URL I visited to get the plugin.
http://www.iyengar-yoga.com/gt-plugins/
Nothing clickable pertaining to the poll plugin that I could see!

I'll look again. I might have missed it ... maybe.

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner

Last edited by:

Boomer: Nov 27, 2002, 8:54 AM
Quote Reply
You can download it through the admin panel in Plug-ins \ Download \ Show Gossamer Plug-ins

Just click on download next to Yogi's plug-in and you'll be directed to what you need to do to get it to work...

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
You can download it through the admin panel in Plug-ins \ Download \ Show Gossamer Plug-ins

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Ok, I used the quote function here and it did me wrong ...

John, I've downloaded and installed the plugin from the admin panel. Now is the part that I hate ...

The instructions say:
  • Add a "New Poll" button: in forum_view.html, insert (three times)

<%if user_poll_permission >= 2%> <input type="submit" name="do=post_write;forum=<%forum_id%>;poll=1" value="New Poll" class="submit"> <%endif%>just before

• <input type="submit"<%unless user_forum_permission >= 5%> disabled<%endif%> name="do=post_write;forum=<%forum_id%>" value="Post New" class="submit">

Is it ambiguous or is it me? Do I insert the code three times before that line of code or am I missing something? Are there better insturctions somewhere?

Steve

PS: Happy gobble day

Visit The Guitar Diner
    Quote Reply
    There are three different different location in that template where you have to insert the code (unless you want to have three identical buttons right next to each other).

Ivan
    -----
    Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
    Quote Reply
    Re: [yogi] Poll Plug-in In reply to
    In Reply To:
    There are three different different location in that template where you have to insert the code (unless you want to have three identical buttons right next to each other).

Thanks Yogi, but I must have screwed something up! The Expand All Threads button is now the wrong size! Care to peek at it?

http://www.guitardiner.com/...in/gforum/gforum.cgi

Also, it is now active in all forums and I though I could determine which forums it was to be used in!

Thanks

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
    Quote Reply
    I can't help you with the templates, but it shouldn't be so difficult to find.

There are two levels of permission control:

1. global (i.e. for all forums): you can set the permissions that somebody has to have in order to vote/write a poll/edit a poll. See the about page for an explanation of the permission levels. Like this you can e.g. only allow moderators or administrators to write polls, but everyone to vote.

2. If that is not enough for your purposes, you can issue permissions on a per forum/per usergroup level. This is done through "PollGroups" You can give a certain usergroup a certain permission in a certain forum, which will then override the global permissions (for that usergroup and that forum).

I hope this helps.

Ivan
    -----
    Quote Reply
    Thanks Yogi! I got the poll working properly. I tried to set group permissions in three of our five forums so registered users can't initiate a poll in them, but I must not be doing it right.

I set up groups this way with Group ID 3 being Registered Users:
    PollGroup ID 1
    Forum ID 4
    Group ID 3
    Poll Permissions None

PollGroup ID 2
    Forum ID 6
    Group ID 3
    Poll Permissions None

PollGroup ID 3
    Forum ID 7
    Group ID 3
    Poll Permissions None
    Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong here? I logged in as my test user and was able to set up a poll.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
    Quote Reply
    One last question, Yogi. It looks like a user voting in a poll does not bump a post back up the list. It seems that a poll could get buried very quickly. Is there a way to make a poll vote act like a reply to a post too?

Thanks for all your work.

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
    Quote Reply
    No, this is not currently possible.

Ivan
    -----