Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Online Vs. Actual

Quote Reply
Online Vs. Actual
Hey Jason,

I noticed that the online count also takes into account invisible users.

Example:

"10008 registered users. 4 users online in the past 15 minutes."
This is showing 3 users that are visible and one that is not.

Should the invisible user count be deducted from the total online count prior to posting?

Just a thought!
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Online Vs. Actual In reply to
Even though they are invisible they are still online :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Online Vs. Actual In reply to
But that is really not invisible then!
Quote Reply
But you don't know who is online, just the number of people....thats not really making you visible as no-one knows who it is.

If you take the invisible users off the total then the number of people online becomes mis-leading.

Anyway thats just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Actually I have a much different opinion.

If a person is to be truly invisible then there should be no way to establish that they are online or eve exist on the system. This includes not showing their name in the "list" as well. Currently an invisible user is shown in the "list" but the tag "invisible" is added to their information line. This is not an invisible user.

Maybe there should be 3 levels for this:

1. Online (a fully disclosed user)
2. Ghost (what we see as invisible now)
3. Invisible (off all lists and is not seen in online counts)

True invisible status should be assigned by admin only and not by a user. And the admin should see everybody at all times.
Quote Reply
>>
If a person is to be truly invisible then there should be no way to establish that they are online or eve exist on the system.
<<

Thats the point I'm trying to make though....you _can't_ establish which invisible users are online. Take this forum as an example...there are about 12,000 users....if there are 2 people online and one is invisible, are you telling me you could tell me which user it is?

>>
Currently an invisible user is shown in the "list" but the tag "invisible" is added to their information line. This is not an invisible user.
<<

I think you may be taking "Invisible" in a different way than intended. I don't think invisible means you should be non existant, it just means you can't be tracked.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 13, 2002, 9:20 AM
Quote Reply
There are over 12000 registered users

14 are online

12 show up in the list

you are one of the 2 invisible users.

That is my point!
Quote Reply
Well thats obvious because firstly there aren't many people online but secondly I've been replying to you so you can easily check that my name isn't online, so tell me who the other one is.
Quote Reply
That was not the point.

Anyone can figure it out if they try. But if an invisble person is NOT on the list and NOT in the count it is in the hands of the invisible person if they wish to be seen or not at anytime. That is the point. Control!

The way it is now you are a ghost and not invisible.

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jun 13, 2002, 12:16 PM