Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Not showing in "Who's Online" showing as guests?

Quote Reply
Not showing in "Who's Online" showing as guests?
Do people who check the option not to be displayed in the "Who's Online" list show up as guests on that list or are they completely ignored?

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Not showing in "Who's Online" showing as guests? In reply to
No, they don't show up as guests. They are treated the same as other registerd users, the only difference is that they don't show up in the "Who's Online", and that their profile doesn't say when they were last seen.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Not showing in "Who's Online" showing as guests? In reply to
Thanks Ivan. I guess the actual number of users online could be quite skewed then.

Another interesting observation: I have the search engine friendly templates installed and every time Google or some other bot crawls through there my guests goes up to around 950! Tongue

Safe swoops
Sangiro

Last edited by:

sangiro: Nov 20, 2002, 5:48 AM
Quote Reply
Yeah, that's because the search engine template don't keep track of a guest. We hope to fix that in version 2.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Not showing in "Who's Online" showing as guests? In reply to
Jason,

I noticed that while a search engine was crawling my site today the Location field in "Who's Online" shows a "Bad Action" for the majority of the search engine users in the Guest list. Why is this? What causes it to show a Bad Action status?

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
That's odd - I can't think of any reason it would show that, unless the crawler is doing some strange things.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Not showing in "Who's Online" showing as guests? In reply to
Jason,

I suspect this is the first time Google is indexing my forums to the post level. Up to now search results in Google has only been pointing at the forum the post was in, not the actual post. That has now changed.

Attached is a partial screen grab of my Guest list. (898 guests!) I don't think it's causing problems. I just think it's reporting each post that it indexes as a "Bad Action".

Safe swoops
Sangiro