Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

No Admin Menus

Quote Reply
No Admin Menus
I've just install GT. I've protected the Admin directory as I should.

When I log in as Admin, all works as expected.

When one of my collegues logs in as Admin she doesn't get the menus etc at the top of the page - she said
" All I'm getting is the "thank you for choosing gossamrer threads" with
the "quick links" and "useful links" at the side - none of the actual admin
panel etc."

Both of us are running IE 6 - any ideas ?
Quote Reply
Re: [davidnavigator] No Admin Menus In reply to
Problem solved, though I would say it's a bug or at least a design flaw.

If your screen size is too small or your font size is too big, then the top frame (which contains the menu) wraps the text on to a line which is not visible in that frame. As the frame doesn't have scrollbars, then there is no way to scroll to the wrapped line and thus the menus are invisible.

Fixed the problem by getting the user to change their font size to small, but would really like a fix to the source if anyone has a suggestion.
Quote Reply
What desktop size is the person running?
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] No Admin Menus In reply to
1024 x 768 with a IE font size of Largest
Quote Reply
Well the default font size is medium, unless the user has vision difficulties the large font will give you format problems on most non-css style driven sites and need not be used.

Screen size and font size is a problem with frames in general, and hopefully future versions of the admin panel won't use them.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Mar 8, 2004, 11:39 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] No Admin Menus In reply to
I realise, but for the time being I'd like to edit whatever code creates the frame, to allow a larger 'menu area'. Any suggestions what file I need edit ?
Quote Reply
The main frame between the top menu and bottom page (which is itself another frame page) is home.html in the admin template set (/path/to/gforum/admin/templates/admin/home.html).

The right/left frames are in other templates - for example, the "Markup" frame is in markup.html, the setup one is in setup.html, etc. Generally, the files without underscores are the frame pages.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com