Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

New post display - information on top

Quote Reply
New post display - information on top
Some time ago there were many requests to add an option to have the post information above each post instead of on the left. At the time, it couldn't easily be done without creating a maintenance hell (remembering to make changes in 2 template sets), however know due to a library upgrade in GT::Template, I'm preparing the new post display using a new feature of our template parser. There are still a few bugs to work out, but attached is a preliminary screenshot.

There are two attachments - one showing how a post will look for normal users, and one showing what moderators and administrators will see.

Let me know what you think. This will be released publicly with Gossamer Forum 1.0.1, and will be available on the site when we update it to 1.0.1.

Edit: The 3rd attachment is with PaulWilson's suggestion (aligning the moderator functions on the right).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com

Last edited by:

jagerman: Nov 22, 2001, 1:09 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] New post display - information on top In reply to
For moderators could the IP/Ban etc be aligned to the right side?
Quote Reply
One more suggestion is to not put spaces inbetween each message. Are you opening up a new table tag each time then? I'm not keen on the way the pages looks broken up. ?

- wil
Quote Reply
I actually prefer to put things like username, number of views etc. on the left hand side, because it doesn't distract one from reading the text in the posts (the most important thing in my opinion).

Anyway, if you can make it an option, you should do so. Some people apparently like it that way.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Ah, this may look better...

Put the IP/Ban etc...on the top line (aligned right), then the date on the middle line (aligned right), then the normal edit/delete/quote where it already is (aligned right), and instead of having the post numbers in the middle, shift them left where IP/Ban used to be on the middle line..

Does that make sense?

eg...

Code:
Username IP: Ban etc...
Post Stats Date
Subject Edit/Delete/Quote

....or even as it is in the newest image but with the posts stats where IP/Ban used to be, middle left.

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 23, 2001, 5:05 AM