Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Moving off of Gossamer Forum

Quote Reply
Moving off of Gossamer Forum
Well, I'm not sure if the mods are going to ban this message, but I'll give it a try.

With the recent lack of updates to Gossamer Forum, I'm considering moving to another product. phpBB and vBulletin are candidates.

Has anyone had any success in moving to another platform? I'd be interested in hearing your method and how much effort it took.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: [fishbrando] Moving off of Gossamer Forum In reply to
Hello, I'm considering too. Too much time passed and no customer attention to the product's users. I'm sorry, I had many GT scripts but GossamerThreads seems (very clearly) have not interest in the forum upgrade.

The time go on and the GT forum is not upgraded (years passed out). It is no possible in a world like scripts and programming where it is fundamental to have a product upgraded and secure.

I hope that someone can suggest a new forum where I can pass my two GT Forum (one in german).

I prefer a not free product becoasu I trust better the upgrades and security.

Suggestions?
Thank you.
David
ps: I have no hope for a GT staff reply...
Quote Reply
Re: [DavidRoma] Moving off of Gossamer Forum In reply to
I've been running Gfoums for nearly 8-10 years now? (can't even remember how long) I'm still running a very old versaion at that due to tal lthe mods I'd done, I feared updates.
It works GREAT! But as the two of you hav mentioned the lack of real support is scary now. I have nearly 100,000 emails in my forums database.

I use phpbb at work for tech type in other departments to comment on projects from our department. I've investigates several boards now. The problem is I've never run across any other board that supplies conversion packages from Goss stuff to theirs. Many have multiple source selsctions to convert the databases over to the package you're installing. But I'vew never found one for GForums to another package. Appearently it's not a famous of wide spread useage forums package for anyone to consider a competitor. I find that a shame as it's a nice fourms package. But the lack of updates makes me fear it's current and future stability and security.

We need to find GREAT MySQL programmer that can convert the formats.
Quote Reply
Re: [ptegler] Moving off of Gossamer Forum In reply to
Hello, also for me the lack of updates makes me fear it's current and future stability and security.
We trusted on GT product and now we are abandoned.
I cannot understand this total lack of interest ofr us, customers of GThreads... anyone there from the staff could give us an help or suggest a new very good forum, like the GT, for pass all the database on?.
I will pay for this, but we need an help.
Gt Staff? Are you there??
Quote Reply
Re: [DavidRoma] Moving off of Gossamer Forum In reply to
I think gforum 2.0 is still (after several years) not ready for a release.
Just have a look at the urls in the notify email or the urls in the shortcut.
They look like this w00t
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/forum/Products_C9/Gossamer_Forum_C7/Discussion_F22/Re%3A_%5Bptegler%5D_Moving_off_of_Gossamer_Forum_P308567/#p308567

Great shortcut

Matthias
gpaed.de