Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Moving On....

Quote Reply
Moving On....
Wow (brushes away the cobwebs)- sure is dead in here. Been five months since the last post....

I think it is pretty well obvious that GT is hanging us all out to dry. That there is no intention of updating this forum software. As I look at their site, I see Forum, Mail and Links are not even mentioned anymore....

I guess I am the last guy to be actively running this software... and the last to get the message. But I got it. I have moved my forums over to something a little more modern, and with some degree of support and current, ongoing development. As nice as Forum 2 looked, Xenforo kicks butt solidly. I am really happy with it. Wish I could have exported to it, but I had to dump this forum software.... stepping into xenforo is so nice I hardly miss losing 125K threads.

And so to Alex, Andy, brewt, jagerman, pugdog and all the rest... I say au revior.. it has been fun. No hard feelings, we all gotta do what we gotta do.

I'll turn the light off on my way out.
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase

Last edited by:

carfac: Nov 8, 2013, 7:18 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Moving On.... In reply to
Hi,

Sorry to see you go. I share your frustration (especially seeing as my whole business resolves around GT products). I wish you all the best in the future.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yeah....I'm also on your track. Just need to find time to switch to another software.

As you probably investigate before you switched, is there any forum software where we can import all stuff from GForum?

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [DeadMan] Moving On.... In reply to
Unfortunately, no.... there was no software I could find that would import. I even looked at like getting one that would, then leap frogging through a couple softwares to get to zenforo... no go.

I would again say that this was the right forum choice, at least for me. I love it. It has a great community, and it works really well. It is a bit frustrating getting started... I DO LOVE the GF template system. Hell, I still love GF... but I had to move on. No looking back now... Xenforo has GREAT SEO, and things are picking up stronmgly!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
How many users did you have on GForum?

And all those users need to signup again to discuss with loose of all their previous posts?

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
I think we had in the neighborhood of 50K users. Many were one-time sign ups.... and ai bet more than a few were spammers.

I e-mailed them all about the move over...

new site has 215 members so far. that hurts.... but they are solid members.
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Uh. That really hurts. From 50k to 215, although many of them were spammers and one-time sign-ups.

That's why I'm afraid to start with new database.

So you bought XenForo? Did you research for some free solutions maybe?

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Haha, I'm looking at XF now as well, looking to see if a developer that knows GT forum, might be able to help the import. Maybe even if a few us us get together to help $upport their effort.

Looking at the XF boards they also have some premade importers which might make it easier to leap frog GT into one of those other boards, then into XF

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/pre-sales-faq.4951/

Does GT do custom work anymore? Maybe one of the guys that really knows GT would be able to help.
Quote Reply
Re: [carminejg3] Moving On.... In reply to
Well, getting paid job for moving data from GForum to XF shouldn't be much of problem. You could post it to Elance or something like that and you'll probably get many offers for that

My other problem is that I'm using GComm as link between GLinks and GForum so all users data is there. But as Forum isn't "big thing" on my site, I'll probably will dump all data and install new Forum. I've already find solution for Glinks and managed to migrate all data.

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
DeadMan wrote:
I've already find solution for Glinks and managed to migrate all data.

Hi DeadMan,
can you tell us, which solution for Glinks you found?
Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] Moving On.... In reply to
Matthias70 wrote:
DeadMan wrote:

Hi DeadMan,
Thanks

Don't know is it allowed here to post links to competition software?

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
DeadMan wrote:
Matthias70 wrote:
DeadMan wrote:

Hi DeadMan,
Thanks

Don't know is it allowed here to post links to competition software?

I don't know either. But I don't need a link. Just tell us the software.
And would be great if you can tell us, how you will import the db...
Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] Moving On.... In reply to
It's called eSyndicat Directory.

Import was done by eSyndicat stuff because when you buy license you got free data transfer for any kind of directory to eSyndicat database (or almost any kind).

It has some downsides if you compare it to GLinks, it's not that fast as Glinks (PHP/mySQL), support isn't the fastest one, but it's under active development and it's in PHP which gives me opportunity to fix bugs by myself and write own plugins.

Regards.

UnReal Network

Last edited by:

DeadMan: May 14, 2014, 5:44 AM
Quote Reply
Thanks for the information. eSyndicate Directory looks nice.
Could be a solution for a change.

I would like to use wordpress for the future. Does anyone know a page that did the way to wordpress?
Thanks in advance

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
DeadMan, thanks for the info! Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Payooo] Moving On.... In reply to
No problem ;)

Regards.

UnReal Network