Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Moderated forums?

Quote Reply
Moderated forums?
Hello,

I have been looking for over an hour, and I can find no setting anywhere that sets a forum to be moderated. How is this done???

Also, is there an easy way to set a group to be moderators of all forums? I am setting up a message board for a group whose primary intent is to make announcements of information and resources, but they want people to be able to comment on exisiting threads (all such replies would be moderated). There are over 30 people who need unmoderated posting privileges to make the new announcements. Can I do this without making them all moderators? If I do need to make them all moderators, can I define them as a group, then indicate in the forum that anyone from that group can moderate the posts? Otherwise, there is a lot of admin work to do to set this up, and then to make changes as the membership of the moderation group changes -- I have to make the changes individually in every forum!

Lastly, please make it easy to delete the "moderator" field in the main display. Nobody needs to know this, and if there are 30 of them, it will look rather bizarre... I have edited the template to delete this in the display, but there should be an easier way in the final version!
Quote Reply
Re: [bdienes] Moderated forums? In reply to
Hi Bruce,

There isn't support yet for a moderated forums were posts need to be approved before being put up. This is something that may appear in a later version.

As for groups, yes you can add a group, and then add your 30 members into that group. Then in the forum permissions, you can give that group Read/Reply/Post access, while everyone else only Read/Reply access (can't start new threads).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Moderated forums? In reply to
OK...

That's confusing... If there are no moderated forums, why do we have the option of choosing moderators?

Any idea on a timeline for enabling moderated groups?

Cheers,

Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: [bdienes] Moderated forums? In reply to
Hi,

Moderators are able to edit/delete/move posts as well as ban users/ip addresses from their forum. What Gossamer Forum does not yet have is the ability to validate/approve posts.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Have you thought of implementing other methods of "banning" users?
Since IP addresses are not the best due to dynamically generated
IPs via dial-up services and also some networks set random IP addresses?
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
There isn't support yet for a moderated forums were posts need to be approved before being put up. This is something that may appear in a later version.

Alex

What might be the status of moderated forums? Will these be available in the near future?

Lauri
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Alex said that Moderators are able to edit/delete/move posts. I can't see how to enable that. I set myself up as a moderator on my forums, and while I can ban people, I can't see an option to edit/delete/move posts, other than my own. Where do I find this in the Administration area, and/or the actual forum? Thanks.
Dan Cooperstock
info@Software4NonProfits.com
Quote Reply
Re: [DanCooperstock] Moderated forums? In reply to
Quote:
I can't see an option to edit/delete/move posts, other than my own.

Moderators should see something like:

IP: ....
Ban: User | IP
Disable: User
Thread: Keep | Lock | Move

on the right hand side below the poster information.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Right. That shows where to do the Move. I also found the Edit and Delete options - they are buttons at the top right of the post, along with Reply.

What fooled me is the info box on each forum's home page, that says "You can start new threads", "You can post replies", ... "You can edit your posts", "You can delete your posts", but says nothing about "You can edit/delete other people's posts". That would be a helpful addition, to make it clearer.
Dan Cooperstock
info@Software4NonProfits.com