Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Merge feature

Quote Reply
Merge feature
I tried searching for this term but did not strike any relevant results. Perhaps it might be known by another term?

Anyhow, is there a feature request in for a "merge post" or "merge thread" capability? Example: If an individual posts a new thread that is actually intended to be a reply to an existing thread. Merging them together would be a task for the forum moderator (at least on my highly regimented message board).

I really like the administrator tools shown on each the post, friendlist move feature I've seen BTW, and would think this would be a logical place to add this ability.
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Merge feature In reply to
What would you suggest for picking which thread to merge it into? Can you only merge into root threads? Would you pass in the id number?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Merge feature In reply to
Are you kidding? I only ask for features I have no idea how to impliment them! Cool

I suspect that if you are wanting to merge two threads the candidate thread would be in the same forum so some selection mechanism shouldn't be too difficult. Otherwise you'd be talking about a move and merge capability between forums which would be more complex.

Would I pass the ID number? That's a database thing right Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Merge feature In reply to
Well, it's really more how do you see it working as a user, not the implementation of it. =) What happens on the next screen after you click on merge?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Merge feature In reply to
One way would be a new screen listing categories and forums and the user simply navigates down through them to the post they want to merge with. Simple but not exactly elegant.

It might be more useful to have a new screen with a selectable list of subject lines from the forum you are already in, listed below a copy of the post you have selected to merge. It could work somewhat like the post_reply_write feature in the way it displays the original post text below the reply form. Then you could include a category/forum pulldown and have it repopulate subject lines if a new forum were selected giving you move and merge.

Suspect some other folks will have some good ideas on the subject, but that's what comes to mind from the top of my head.