Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Member Directory?

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Private Message In reply to
You're right ... I was going on a tangent a bit ... Blush and confused myself between names and email Blush

There are just some folks who've had bad experiences and just prefer being --- unknown. And have an option for these folks might be nice.

I did post 2-3 or above that I'm in FULL support of having a place to put your name -- even if it's only "real looking". Like Wil said it does make this look a little more professional.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Private Message In reply to
...and even if your name/surname was forced, you still have the choice of entering a real or fake name so either way you still have a choice.

You could have something like:

First Name: <text>

Last Name: <text>

Anonymous: <radio>

If anonymous was selected, first name and last name could be just filled with "Anonymous"

Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Private Message In reply to
Paul

That defeats the whole object and therefore there's no point having such a system whatsoever.

You either enforce it, or you don't. I think for more professional forums like this; it should be enforced. For other more relaxed forums where people can banter and argue all day long then let them hide under their anonymity. Most people feel more empowered if they have a mask in front of them, that is their handle, and it therefore encourages spam/insults/ etc. etc.

Putting people's real names down makes you accountable for your comments and, in my opinion, makes people think twice before raving off at someone in a forum message.

These are just my thoughts anyway. If I was running a professional-like forum, especially a customer support one where you interact with your customers, I would personally enforce your real and last name on the board. Heck, I would go as far as quoting your customer ID number (if GT issues these - I don't know).

Anyway, I'm not writing these comments because I want to enter into a flame war on privacy and human rights and free speech and and and. I just want to make a comment or/and a suggestion, as the title of this forum suggests.

Take them or leave them.

Kind rgds

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Private Message In reply to
Quote:
You either enforce it, or you don't. I think for more professional forums like this; it should be enforced.

Yes I totally agree - I am all for it.....I am just trying to give a balanced argument to try and stop myself getting niggled at by those against the idea :)

....but as I said, you can still enter a fake name.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Sep 21, 2001, 7:14 AM
> >