Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Manual status attribution

Quote Reply
Manual status attribution
I saw this week-end on a forum the ability for admins to upgrade people to a type of honorary status (and not linked to the number of posts) and I found it quite an interesting idea. This is the 'New User', Novice, Veteran etc. system.
Thus people that spend time creating code and mods for the forum here for example would be upped to thank them for their contributions which I think is a nice and fair move.

I don't know if anybody else finds this an interesting idea but I thought I'd just see what people thought.

John
Significant Media

Last edited by:

Jag: Sep 9, 2002, 8:28 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Manual status attribution In reply to
Wouldn't this just be a case of a new field in the user table like isGreat

Then

<%if isGreat%>
This user rules
<%endif%>

?

Last edited by:

Paul: Sep 9, 2002, 8:28 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Manual status attribution In reply to
Hi Paul,
It was more in view of the version 2 and a function through the web admin panel. This would make it very easy for people to change names limits etc without modifying code.
And since I was thinking of you among others when I was typing my example I was sure you'd be capable of finding the code for this type of function. Wink
Significant Media

Last edited by:

Jag: Sep 9, 2002, 8:36 AM
Quote Reply
lol

>>
It was more in view of the version 2 and a function through the web admin panel
<<

I don't think there is a cp for v2 Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Manual status attribution In reply to
So everybody has to learn how to use telnet or SSH then to run the scripts? Wink

That would be fun if you want to add different lists of users to groups.

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Hi,

If I understand you correctly, this is already implemented. You can edit a person's title and it overrides the auto generated title.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Manual status attribution In reply to
Yes Alex I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking on the basis of what already exists in the admin panel where you choose from a drop list when as you say it is possible to simply type the status in.

Thanks

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
We do that on our forum already, we just change the user_title field to something and it overrides the point count version. Like you said, it's a good way to reward good posters (and also to taunt bad ones Tongue)

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Manual status attribution In reply to
Hi Alex,
I've just been trying out this trick of using the manual title to change what the person has appear in their profile.
However I also wanted to be able to have a name appear instead of Admin or Administrator throughout the forum for people that have admin rights in the forum.

Thanks, John
Significant Media