Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Mail notification on replies

Quote Reply
Mail notification on replies
On several occasions, I've noticed that I don't receive email notifications when replies are sent to replies written by others (this was in the DBman Customization forum).

It has been pointed out in this forum that this was a bug of version 1.0.0 which should already have been corrected (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/..._string=mail;#173876).

Is it possible that Gossamer Threads' own forums are not yet updated, or is there any other explanation why notification works only with direct replies to my own posts?
kellner
Quote Reply
Re: [kellner] Mail notification on replies In reply to
Currently, e-mail notification only works (and it is intended to work this way) for direct replies. We have, on our list of things to do for some future version, an idea to be able to "watch" a thread - so that you would be e-mailed every time someone posts to the thread.

The big problem with this or with multiple replies is that the time taken to actually post a message increases. The time taken to send one e-mail is quite low, but once you get into a large thread (say 20 or 30 posts deep) it can take quite a long time to send 20 or 30 e-mails for every new reply; this is the primary reason we haven't implemented it.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Mail notification on replies In reply to
Thanks for the clarification. To be able to "watch" a thread would be really great. The way things are now, when I post a problem, someone else posts a reply, and then still another person posts a correction to that reply, I might miss out on the latter - unless, of course, I take the "trouble" to actually visit the forum on a regular basis :-)
kellner
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Mail notification on replies In reply to
Last time when I was running the Discus forum, I made a modification to it such that when a user post to a thread, it will be logged into a file somewhere. Then I have a cron process which process this file every minute and sends out email notification to all the users who has subscribed to this thread. The trick is that I put all email addresses into the BCC: field and the emails are sorted by domain so sendmail can send it out in batches. (Never ever forget to sort it by domain or else sendmail can choke on the large amount of emails that needs to be sent)
It works and keeps the load on the server to a minimum. Smile