Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Lot of Problem

Quote Reply
Lot of Problem
Hmmm..

I think this new forum have a lot of problem, mostly to the old post for example:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/000914.html

I cannot get trough to that link and the error message is:

A fatal error has occured:

GForum::Template (15190): No template file was specified. at /home/gossamer-threads/perl/gforum/admin/GT/Template.pm line 77.

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.

And another thing is if the old post like this:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=L2Cust&Number=156892&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

The page will show the main page as default so i must do it manually to get through like:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=156892

Hmm... its suck isnt it ? i have more than 100 i bookmark the link from the old forum and now some of the bookmark is cannot through the page. Why dont the Gossamer Threads just use the old forum and do some change to color any anything without make some effect to the old post ? yes ..the new thing is much better than the old one but sometime the old one is so useful too, sorry to my english but this only my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Lot of Problem In reply to
Lol...yeah, there are a lot of bugs, but that is always the case in such complex scripts! It isn't released yet, so GT have wisely decided to test it here, as it is a widely used feature (so they can test speeds etc). If you ask me, there are not really any major bugs. The main one that is annoying me is the edit option, but everything else is really small compared to the power of this script Smile

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Andy, I agree there don't seem to be many major bugs in GT-Forum.

I think the point reenee was making was that if you spent a lot of time and effort searching the forums for answers and saving the answers as bookmarks, that time and effort are now gone.

This would seem to be a problem, as the subject of posting a new topic instead of searching the forum for answers first has been pretty thoroughly discussed on the various GT product support forums. As I recall, there has also been some discussion regarding some difficulties in finding the answers by searching the forums.

If the desire is to encourage people to search first and post second, it would seem inconsistent to make that research difficult to retrieve.

I have no idea how difficult it would be to parse the requested (old) page and be redirected to the appropriate (new) GT Forum page, but it would be a great feature for the transition.

--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I have no idea how difficult it would be to parse the requested (old) page and be redirected to the appropriate (new) GT Forum page, but it would be a great feature for the transition.

It isn't all that difficult, and we have imported the (very) old UBB information required to dynamically rewrite the old UBB links into the new Gossamer Forum links http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/000914.html. Expect to see those links working with the new forum by the middle of next week.

As for: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=L2Cust&Number=156892&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5 - this URL works for me, it takes me to the correct post, and even puts me in the flat display mode (try changing that showflat.pl to showthreaded.pl - it'll put you in threaded display mode). If anyone is having problems with this, please get back to me and I'll try to solve the problem.

It isn't our intention at all to prevent any old bookmarks from working - our import was specially modified to keep the same post ID's as WWWThreads had. The UBB links we deemed less critical since the change the WWWThreads from UBB happened some time ago, however bear with us - we will have it ready and activated soon.

As for the other bugs that have been reported, I am working at fixing them; sometime tomorrow I will upload all the fixes to the website at which point a lot of bugs should disappear.

We offer our apologies for the broken links, bear with us; we released the forum to our website to help iron out the bugs.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
That all sounds great! I especially appreciate getting the old bookmarks working. They are a great resource to have available.

I understand that there will be some bugs and that some things will be different. I really appreciate it that you are squashing those bugs and making sure that I will only experience the good parts of the changes.

--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading