Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Login and Cookies question

Quote Reply
Login and Cookies question
On our forum, something must be set wrong. If, for some reason, you log out, or log in for any reason it doesn't work the first time. If you cleck the "remember me" box, you get the message "You could not be logged in. Perhaps you tried to log in with cookies, but cookies are disabled?" and you have to log in a second time not checking any of the boxes. I rarely clear cookies, etc., so I don't really notice it, but a number of users have mentioned it. I seem to have some strange things like this going on. The install was done by people who should know how and we have made virtually no modifications to the forum other than some text sizes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at?

Thanks

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] Login and Cookies question In reply to
btt

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Try taking a look at what you have set cookie_domain to, in Setup -> Users. The default is blank. but setting it to ".yourdomain.com" is a good idea, as that allows users from www.yourdomain.com, yourdomain.com, and anythingelse.yourdomain.com to use the cookies. What may be happening is that users are logging in to domain.com, but then being redirected to www.domain.com - where the cookie isn't operational with the default settings.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Login and Cookies question In reply to
As usual, Jason, let me make sure what I see here ...

I should set the blank cookie_domain to:
.guitardiner.com
not to the cgi URL and it includes the "dot" before the name?

Thanks

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Yup, that's right.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com