Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Indexing Scheme

Quote Reply
Indexing Scheme
I searched the forum for references to this but didn't find anything that really talked about it.

My Gforum install is MSSQL. In Tools, Table Editor, Database Information the current Indexing Scheme is set to NONINDEXED.

Options are INTERNAL, MSSQL, and MYSQL. What is the benefit of using indexing and if there is a benefit which should I go with, Internal or MSSQL? I would assume there is some sort of performance increase to be had?

This would be an excellent topic to address in the Help section.
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Indexing Scheme In reply to
Hi,

If you are using MS SQL, try out the MS SQL full text searching. It is very fast, and works really well.

Here's some quick notes, we are about to release an admin guide which will cover this in more detail:

NONINDEXED - Supports +, -, "phrase searching", left and right substring searching and and/or searching. Can not sort by relevance. Basically turns your query into a full table scan of the table. Very useful for foreign languages where you can't break up a sentance into a series of words. It's fast for small databases, but gets progressively slower.

INTERNAL - Supports +, -, "phrase searching", right substring search and and/or searching. Returns most relevant results first. It indexes each term into a search table, and is considerably faster then NONINDEXED for large databases. It's what we use on Gossamer.

MYSQL - Uses MySQL's full text indexes. Supports +, -, and right substring searching. Can only search on 4 or more letter words. Returns most relevant results first. Quite fast, but requires MySQL 3.23+. Also search results seem a bit flaky some times. May need to wait for MySQL 4.1 for this to be useful.

MSSQL - Uses MSSQL's built in full text indexing. Supports +, -, and right substring searching. Returns most relevant results first. Very fast, and pretty seamless, but only for MS SQL users.

Let me know if you have problems with MSSQL. It does require that your SQL server have the full text module installed.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Indexing Scheme In reply to
There's now more info on this in our new admin manual:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...ts/gforum/manual.pdf

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Indexing Scheme In reply to
Alex,

I did a quick read through last night and am keeping a copy on my desktop, looks good.