Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Importing help

Quote Reply
Importing help
I emailed this to the support address but didn't hear anything back, so I thought I'd post here.

I am working on an import script to convert my current board (DCforum) to gforum. I have everything working except posts--- they seem to import fine, and they display fine in flat mod, but in threaded mode even though the forum listing tells you there are replies the replies don’t display. What step am I missing?

I looked through the other import scripts and didn't notice any steps I'd skipped.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Importing help In reply to
Hi,

Sorry, support is a bit backed up at the moment with two of our developers still on holidays. =)

As for your question, it sounds like the post_depth, post_root_id or post_father_id is not set right. Make sure that post_depth = 0 for root posts, and root_id and father_id point to the root post and the parent post.

Also, you can try running admin/tools/fix_ancestor.pl and see if that fixes it.

Let me know how it turns out!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Importing help In reply to
When I run the fix_ancestor tool I get this error:

Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference
in\tools\fix_ancestor.pl line 172, <STDIN> line 1.

Line 172 is this line:

$parents->{$id} = [@{$parents->{$parent}}, $parent];

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Hi,

Definately sounds like your post_id, post_depth, post_root_id, and post_father_id are not matching up.

I can have Adrian take a look at it for you on Monday as we'd love to add a DCForum to our list of boards we can import from. Just send me an email to alex@gossamer-threads.com with access info and path to what you have done so far and we'll take alook.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
If I remember correctly, DCForum is a flatfile forum (without threaded posts), so it's probably best you look at the UBB import for a comparison.

Actually, I looked again, and it seems it does have threading. So you'll have to make sure the post_root_id, post_father_id, as well as post_depth are correct. To update post depth after importing all the posts, you can do what's done in WWWThreads.pm line ~1021.

In Reply To:
I have everything working except posts--- they seem to import fine, and they display fine in flat mod, but in threaded mode even though the forum listing tells you there are replies the replies don?t display. What step am I missing?
That sounds like you might not have set post_depth correctly for each of the posts. Make sure it's being set on each post before you do the insert. See line ~732 in UBB.pm.

Adrian

Last edited by:

brewt: Dec 29, 2001, 3:25 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Importing help In reply to
I figured out the problem-- it was indeed in the parent_id field as you both suggested.

Unfortunately, I am very much a tweaker rather than a writer of Perl and I'm sure these scripts, while they work, do things in the most difficult and system intensive way possible. They also just compile everything into text files which I use your tools section to import. It's also all written to my defaults. If you think it'd be useful I'd be happy to send it along, but I think it would probably confuse you more than help.

On a random aside-- do you have any plans to add a poll feature to the script? That's my next project and I'm not looking forward to it. :)

Thanks for your help.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you can send me what you have we can generalize it and add it into the product.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Do you want it emailed? And any word on the poll feature or should I just break down and do it myself?

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Hi,

Sure, send it to alex@gossamer-threads.com. Thanks!

As for polls, it's something we'd like to see done as a plugin, but probably not something we'd be able to do in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Sorry to drag up an old thread Alex, but did anything come of this?

I have dcforum and wish to move over to gosssamer forum asap, cheers.

chmod
Quote Reply
Re: [chmod] Importing help In reply to
Hi,

I'm assuming you mean the dcforum import, and not the polls feature? =) If so, no, unfortunately there hasn't been much demand for the dcforum import. We could do it for you as a custom job though.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.