Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Implementing version 1.1.8...

Quote Reply
Implementing version 1.1.8...
Hi,

I am in the process of implementing version 1.1.8 of this forum and I have a couple of questions that I hope you can provide some assistance with.

Background Information…
  1. Forum will be used by approximately 90 Librarians (initially)
  2. Forum runs on a Compact server with 917,024 KB of RAM, using Windows 2000 Server
  3. Forum is served up by IIS
  4. Forum uses MySQL as its SQL server (version 3.25.51 for Windows, running under default configuration)
  5. Forum uses ActiveState’s version of Perl (most recent version)
  6. Forum is behind a firewall (Intranet VS Internet)

A couple of Questions…
  1. MySQL is running on the same computer as the forum. Is there a way to have the forum recognize a MySQL database that resides on another computer (we have another to work with)? If so, how would this be accomplished?
  2. Would you have any suggestions as to changes that should be made to the default configuration for MySQL?
  3. Given the background information, can you see anything that should be looked at? I know this is a broad question and could (probably does) cover a lot of territory.

Any assistance provided will be appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Quote Reply
Re: [jbzipperian] Implementing version 1.1.8... In reply to
Hi, sorry for the late reply. That server certainly looks like it will be able to handle it. If you find that the forum is taking too much traffic, Activestate has a paid solution called "PerlEx", which basically does the same thing as mod_perl with Apache web server installations. That is, it caches the scripts into memory so that they are only parsed and loaded from disk on the initial request. However, I wouldn't go down that route unless you are expecting very heavy usage, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Gossamer Forum is optimized primarily for MySQL, so, although there may be a few tweaks here and there, it's doubtful that you could get any significant performance increase through MySQL's settings. (Although there is a setting to increase the amount of memory that MySQL uses, which could improve performance, depending on the size of your forum).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Implementing version 1.1.8... In reply to
Hi Jason,

Thank you for the response. The forum has been up and running and everything seems to be going just fine.

Thanks again,

John