Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Icon and Expand columns

Quote Reply
Icon and Expand columns
I feel like I'm posting too much, but am trying to get my forum to a happy place. Not that it's not happy, let me rephrase and say I'm trying to get it customized to a place where I'm happy (how about that?).

I am strongly considering deleting the Thread icon, Expand thread, and Expand section columns in the forum subject section. This would help keep the subject line from wrapping on every thread that had replies.

What should I watch out for if I do this?

I would also be curious to see a redesign of this section. At my count there are six potential columns for graphical icons related to one thread.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: Apr 12, 2002, 3:05 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Icon and Expand columns In reply to
You shouldn't have any problems with removing the icons. Obviously, you're losing the indicator and/or functionality that those icons provide, but there shouldn't be a problem there.

One way that you could look at keeping it from wrapping is by changing the indentation used for replies. Right now, for every level 'deep' a reply is, 4 ' ' are put in front of the subject to move it to the right.

On about line 136 of forum_view.html, there is this line:

Code:

<%'&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;' x $post_depth%>
This is the line responsible for the indenting. Try experimenting with the number of &nbsp;'s in there to reduce the indent of replies. Just one &nbsp; might not be all that noticeable, but 2 or 3 ought to work.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Icon and Expand columns In reply to
I think this is going to be my approach.

The first problem I'll need to tackle is combining the primary icon with the "lock" function.

I'm going to remove the expand icons and functionality to clean up the look of the forum, to suite my tastes. Plus I find less distraction the better for my users - who seem easily confused.

One feature I'd like to look into adding is a page count after the subject, I've seen that other places and can see its usefulness.

A forum might look like the attached after some tinkering.
Quote Reply
Crazy I need a legend to read your legend Crazy

this is definitely a good idea but ... 1.) how about an admin setting to control this 2.) while we're at it make it user controlable too 3.) a possibly simpler legend

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Icon and Expand columns In reply to
Heh, well that legend was mostly for me, I was keeping track of the icons I'd made so listed them all. I even started to make a "Pin to top" icon but then realized I couldn't use it yet Tongue

Agree with 1, possibly with 2, and certainly 3.
Quote Reply
ahhh I see Angelic

for number 2 I was just thinking that some users might benefit by the extra freedom ...

I do like this idea!

hmm ... I wonder if we'll ever get stickies Unsure

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
You know, I happened to notice that ellipsiiis appears to have something along thoses lines on the surviiivor forum.

Link: http://www.surviiivor.com/...orum=33;guest=389616

If we offer a bribe, who knows. . . Cool
Quote Reply
And also managed to combine the Post icon with the Locked icon. I'd like to see that bit as well.

If I had anything good to share I would Wink
Quote Reply
I don't think I did anything fancy, just deleted those columns from the forum_view template.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Icon and Expand columns In reply to
Well you must have also changed up the logic a bit since you have it displaying the lock icon and not the post/replies to post icon.

What I think we're all probably more interested is in how you did your "sticky" posts in that forum? Inquiring minds want to know. Smile