Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

How the "New" Posts Works

Quote Reply
How the "New" Posts Works
I was wondering whether it is possible to have the "New" indication appear until the discussion has been entered and posts viewed.

For example at the moment if I display the main page I see "Products: Gossamer Forum: Discussion" and in this area a "New" Discussion and maybe a "New" Message indication if someone answers. However once I have clicked on Discussion to look at the list of discussions all indications of new messages disappear even though I haven't seen the new posts displayed on a page.

Imagine there are 5 new discussions to view and 15 new posts, as soon as I have looked at the discussion list I have no way of knowing whether these 5 new discussions span over the first five discussions or the first 10, whether the 15 new messages span over the first five discussions or over the first fifteen.
There is in effect no way to see in the second list whether it is a new post or a new discussion and the date corresponds to the date of the last post not the creation date.

I find that it would help the user if the new indication was also displayed in the list of discussions that directly lead to the posts rather than just on the index page and that they stay displayed until the user has gone into view the posts.

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] How the "New" Posts Works In reply to
HI Jag.

I see the forums like you are explaining. I go into "discussion" read the post and back with the back button in my browser. I can normally still see what's new left. This even works after I post.

I wonder if you have either a browser incompatability or cookie problem. Lol my trouble shooting could be way off too though ...

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] How the "New" Posts Works In reply to
Yes I suppose using the back button of the browser is one way around it. However even when you are in the list of discussions you can't see which discussion has new posts and which is a new discussion. In my opinion this is only displayed on the previous page.

I always start with the principle that in "web navigation", for users, you can never make it easy enough for them. Most of us here have adapted to this forum and we are fairly computer savvy in general. A lot of users need to be held by their hand to begin with, just so that they can enjoy our hard work.

Completely off subject, I've just started rollerblading and I can assure you that a helping hand is something I really appreciate, especially since I can't get the breaks to work for me yet. And if I can't learn how to break I won't enjoy it as much that is for sure Wink

I was just thinking that it may be possible to make it a bit easier for people to see which messages they haven't seen yet through the program without needing to use browser functions.

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] How the "New" Posts Works In reply to
I modified the code that appears next to discussions in the list to show the words new discussion and new posts so that it's easier to see.

John
Significant Media