Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Guest Username

Quote Reply
Guest Username
Is there anything special that needs to be done when first setting up the forum (I'm setting up 1.1.1 right now) with regard to guest users to enable the pull down on guest posts (or at least populate it). I created a forum that allowed guest posting to test out adding some posts and the Guest Username: selectbox has nothing in it and it's only about 1 character wide. And since it's a select box I can't add anything to it... Shouldn't this be an input box to type in what they want to use? Or is that handled completely different here? The message posts okay. Thx.
Quote Reply
Re: [JerryP] Guest Username In reply to
For versions before 1.1.2 (yet to be released), it uses the first Anonymous ID it can find (or creates one if one doesn't exist). In v1.1.2, anonymous users can enter the username to display.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Guest Username In reply to
I have this entry in the Users table
user_username = Guest
user_tile = Anonymous Poster
Is that what it should be looking for? Is so, for some reason it's not finding it. And are the guest users something I need to enter so the names get populated? And finally, if I wanted to change it now is the fix to make it allow people to enter names as simple as changing the select box to an input box (hoping so) or more complicated than that?

Last edited by:

JerryP: Mar 16, 2002, 9:39 PM
Quote Reply
Hi Jerry,

By default, the guest user is not enabled. If you go into the admin and modify the guest user, set it to enabled. This will allow people to post anonymously using that user. As Adrian mentioned, 1.1.2 gives guest posters the ability to use a custom username, but an enabled guest is still required.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Guest Username In reply to
in the admin it already shows the guest user as enabled, but I still changed one of the variables just to make sure it took and I have the same problem... nothing shows up in the pulldown. And I'm pretty sure I never enabled the guest user before now
Quote Reply
any ideas?
Quote Reply
Just wait for 1.1.2, since it should be out very soon Smile It seems to work properly on our forums here.

Adrian