Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Gossamer Forum 1.1.1 now testing... Release tomorrow

Quote Reply
Gossamer Forum 1.1.1 now testing... Release tomorrow
I've updated Gossamer Forum to 1.1.1 on the site. Please report any bugs you find in the Bug Reports forum!

This release will be available for download sometime tomorrow (Thursday). Please test out the new advanced editor! It is much improved over the old one in that it loads very quickly and works much faster.

If anyone is wondering why they cannot get to the editor now, it could be because the requirements have changed. Previously, you needed Internet Explorer 5.0 or above to access it - that requirement has changed to IE 5.5 or above (but it works best in IE 6).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Gossamer Forum 1.1.1 now testing... Release tomorrow In reply to
Hi Jason

It's great that your browser "catches" the Advanced Editor. It makes it super-fast to load after your first use.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Definitely very fast with IE6.0Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Gossamer Forum 1.1.1 now testing... Release tomorrow In reply to
It's not actually caching - View Source on the main post page (not inside the iframe). The source for the inner iframe is contained on the post page, the document.write is used to write it into the iframe. Quite spiffy - we found it is much faster than a new request.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Quote:
I've updated Gossamer Forum to 1.1.1 on the site. Please report any bugs you find in the Bug Reports forum!

This release will be available for download sometime tomorrow (Thursday). Please test out the new advanced editor! It is much improved over the old one in that it loads very quickly and works much faster.

If anyone is wondering why they cannot get to the editor now, it could be because the requirements have changed. Previously, you needed Internet Explorer 5.0 or above to access it - that requirement has changed to IE 5.5 or above (but it works best in IE 6).

Big enough text there Jason? Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Ah. I see what you mean. Good thinking, batman.

Where did you get the code for the Editor? Does Microsoft's web site provide some help for developers?

- wil
Quote Reply
There's a very useful reference guide here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/...eference/objects.asp

That, and a bunch of MSDN and Google searching over the past 3-4 days. The font dialog took the longest (click the "A" in the advanced editor toolbar - the one without the red bar).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
That's very neat. Shouldn't it limit the available FONTs however to the most common ones?

What happens when I try and use a font that is not installed on someone else's system? The typical browser behavious of defaulting back to a tt font?

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
What happens when I try and use a font that is not installed on someone else's system? The typical browser behavious of defaulting back to a tt font?
Yup. Actually, in IE 5.5 you only see the common fonts - an interface to accessing the system fonts wasn't added until IE 6.
Quote Reply
OK. Well I'm using IE 6 to test this anyway.

Anyone tested with Mozilla? I doubt the latest version supports all this?

Any reason why the display font is Times New Roman in the Advanced Editor (by default) but when I post it reverts to the forum font? I guess I actually have to *set* a font if I want it to display. Why is this Times New Roman though? A fixed-width font would be better to go hand-in-hand with the 'normal' editor?

Ah, dunno. I'm babbling now. Not providing any real valuable feedback.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
No, Mozilla doesn't even come remotely close to supporting it.

I'm going to change to font in the editor to Verdana, the same used on the rest of the pages. I've noticed that since it defaults to Times New Roman, if you actually try and set the font to Times New Roman, it doesn't put in the font tags.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
New editor....very fast. Zero noticeable load time on my system. Let's try some things and since I'm lazy I'll grab some random junk from the ol' web site:

Inline image (a random WWII poster)

Now we'll try to paste part of a html table:

Demob points Points needed to go home DF Direction finder; also RDR Radio Direction Finder DFC Distinguished Flying Cross DIT Ditched Dr. Ditto Broadcaster on Tokyo radio DSC Distinguished Service Cross DSM Distinguished Sercice Medal DUC Distinguished Unit Citation

[Edit]...hmm, you can paste it in and it remains intact, but won't post that way. Didn't expect it to, just wanted to see what would happen.

Bullets:
  • KU Report - National Archives and Record Administration (NARA). If the loss of the aircraft occurred over German territory, a German Kampf Flugzeuge USA [Battle Planes USA] document was prepared by the Luftwaffe concerning the location of the aircraft wreckage and fate of the crew. National Archives has the original reports as well as translations available. I know of no Japanese equivalent -
  • Unit Histories, War Diaries, Daily Reports, Station Memorandum, Special Orders, Public Relations Reports, Loading Lists, etc. - these unit documents are are archived by the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) at Maxwell AFB, Alabama.

Indent & text color, bold, italics, underline:
Bomb Group Associations - these associations were formed after the war, many in the 1970s. Formed by the veterans themselves they are tremendous resources for information. The associations have published books, documented their histories on videotape, compiled rosters, lists of aircraft, and many other details valuable to the researcher.

Many associations hold yearly reunions. If you are a veteran of a Bomb Group or a descendant, these groups want to hear from you and would welcome your membership! One of the primary goals of HeavyBombers.com is to list the points of contacts for each Group.

You can find Groups or individual squadrons by searching for them. Search boxes are located on the top of each HeavyBombers.com web page, or - [Find your unit here].

Line:

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Jan 10, 2002, 10:00 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Gossamer Forum 1.1.1 now testing... Release tomorrow In reply to
Scott (heavybombers),

I think it's not the right place (thread and forum) to make this kind of tests. Also, can you please make tests without publicity for your site? In your last post, we don't know if your main purpose was to make tests or make publicity for your site...

Thank you.

François
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Gossamer Forum 1.1.1 now testing... Release tomorrow In reply to
Nice site heavybomber. Just a few notes - why isn't there a link anywhere on your main page to the poster site? I had to guess the URl! Which wasn't difficult, after looking at the structure of the other pages. I just put a "posters.html" after a domain and it worked. Why no link from the main page?

GTF: Feature Request: Wouldn't it be nice to have a "private message" tick box in the corner somwehere where I could tick to send this as a private message. The forum would then scan the subject line, and any names found within brackets it would put it down as the Recipient name. Now that *would* be clever?!

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] Gossamer Forum 1.1.1 now testing... Release tomorrow In reply to
Point taken François, probably not the right forum to test in. Regarding content, I just grabbed a batch of stuff to paste in rather than type a lot random junk.