Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Gforum License

Quote Reply
Gforum License
For how long do we have access to updates, upgrades, and patches when we buy Gossamer Forum?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Gforum License In reply to
Why nobody in Gossamer staff do not answer this simple question???
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] Gforum License In reply to
Sorry, my apologies. I must have missed it. I'll add this to the product pages tommorrow. You get 1 year free upgrades, and all upgrades within the major version number (i.e. all 1.x versions). This is so you will always be entitled to maintenance releases.

Upgrades for existing users to new versions will be at a heavy discount.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Gforum License In reply to
Thank you Alex for your answer.

But please be specific when you'll change the product pages tomorrow (license pages??). "Heavy discount" could be 30% of the price for one person and 90% of the price for another... Most of your clients would surely like to know exactly how much they will have to pay each year to keep their forum up to date. With the kind of licenses you're selling now with all your products (licenses which are not precise on upgrades), you can easily changed them the way you want and when you want, and that's really not fair for your clients.

We are supporting you by buying the first version of your forum software. Why don't give free upgrades for life to people who buy the 1.x version? That could give a boost to your sales, to the knowing of your product, and to the confidence your clients give to you.

If I understand well, with the changes you will do in the products pages, people who use your forum with non profit use will have access to all new versions for free and for life, but not your client who paid 200US$ for the same product. I'm right?

Give me free upgrades for life, and I will buy your forum software this month.

Thank you.

Franco

Sorry for my english, it's not my first language.

Quote Reply
> Why don't give free upgrades for life to people who buy the 1.x version?

Because GT is a business, not a charity. ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Gforum License In reply to
That's funny.

Adcycle (the business who is associated with GT for a banners plugin) give upgrades for life, and it's a business... See http://www.adcycle.com/register.html.

Do you want others examples of "charity"?? ;-)
Post deleted by Wil In reply to
Quote Reply
Alex, is this license the same as the other products?

Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Gforum License In reply to
Wil,
Here you'll find a part of email that I received from Jack Ong, member of GT staff, the october 9, 2001. I asked him some questions about Links SQL. You'll understand with this why I asked more specifications on the license of GT forum. A lot of things in this email is not officially in the license...

--------------
[..]
> I would like to know what are the specifications of the Links SQL license (number of installations allowed on the same web site, number of web sites, number of domain names (redirections to the principal domain name...). Also when we buy a license of Links SQL, do we have access to updates or pathes? And if so, for how long?

Upgrades and patches to Links SQL are available freely to you for life, no need to purchase upgrades to the program at all. However, it IS licensed Per Application, which means that you cannot use it more than once. Some of our clients even have it running 3 or 4 applications on their site, one license for each site. We do offer a multiple license discount of 20% though after the first license.

> Do you have a refund policy if your clients are not completly satisfied with your products?

Yes, we have a 30-day money back guarantee, but we do keep US$75 if you ask us to handle the initial installation for you. If you install the program yourself, there is a full money-back guarantee.
[..]
--------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'll be spelling this out explicitly on all license pages for our products later today.

Links SQL is our only product that you get free upgrades for life.

While you may think that free upgrades for life is a good idea for the customer, in fact it isn't. It removes the incentive for the developer to produce new versions. If we charge a small upgrade fee, and have a large user base, it is strong motivation to come out with a new version that has a lot of new and exciting features that will convince existing users to upgrade.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Sorry, I didn't have a chance to do this yet, but will get it updated tommorrow.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.