Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

GForum for comments

Quote Reply
GForum for comments
I had the idea to use GForum for posting comments to articles published on my site. I would like to put comments to articles on the page of the articles themselves. Sort of like slashdot or php-nuke or things of that sort.

Concrete question: If you were going to make such a system, would you use one thread per article, or one forum per article?

The thread/forum could be pulled to the article page by means of an SSI include virtual call (with an alternative template set). There could also be a login field etc. Subscription etc would be handled by GForum.

More abstract question: Any suggestions for such a project?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] GForum for comments In reply to
I would go with thread per article. One forum per article wouldn't look too good (imagine the main forum listing page after you had a whole bunch of articles!)
If you had an article submission script which added the article automatically, you could add some code to it to automatically create the thread in the forum then link to it in article. Plugin?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] GForum for comments In reply to
Adrian, thanks for your quick answer.

In Reply To:
I would go with thread per article. One forum per article wouldn't look too good (imagine the main forum listing page after you had a whole bunch of articles!)

I agree that it makes more sense to have a thread per article. But what if people want to start on a new topic (about the same article)? They would have to reply to somebody in the thread talking about something completely different (well, maybe the root post could just be by the administrator, saying something like "Post you comments", but then a lot of thought would have to go into displaying these posts in a nice way, like a list of all posts at level one). So in a way, it would be easier to take one forum per article (yes, you'd end up with a whole lot of them, but you could hide them on the main page....)

Script for adding article automatically? Yes! Create thread/form automatically? Yes! Plugin? Yes! -------- Time? No!

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins