Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

GF Performance Test

Quote Reply
GF Performance Test
This isn't scientific by any means but tonight I ran a few little tests on my server and on Gossamer in order to get a better feel for GF CGI response times.

The purpose of the little experiment was to see what kind of response times I'm getting from a shared Cobalt RaQ server and compare them, if possible, to the high performance set-up Gossamer has.

The test was simple - grab a web page, via telnet and perl, 250 times serially (maybe I'll do burst tests at a later date) and see how long it takes. The script, below, was run from my server and in each test grabbed 22kb per request.

In the first case I turned speedycgi off and requested a page off my own GF forum on my RaQ server 250 times. For the second case speedycgi was back on.

In the third case I grabbed an html (no CGI) file from Gossamer's server in order to estimate data transmission time. Since the timing script was run on my own server tests 1 and 2 did not possess network transmission time. Test cases test 3 and 4 did include network transmission times since I had to contact Gossamer's server from my server via the internet. Finally in the fourth case I requested a GF page (CGI).

The data below show the times.

Test 1. 426 seconds or 1.7 secs per request
Test 2. 85 seconds or .34 secs per request
Test 3. 132 seconds or .53 secs per request
Test 4 143 seconds or .57 secs per request (.044 effective)

Back of the envelope calcs shows my server to be five times faster when running speedycgi than without.

Subtracting the time in test 3 from test 4 gives us a Gossamer's CGI response time . This shows a minimal 11 second increase (.044 sec per request) when invoking CGI on Gossamer's server. When you compare that number to my .34 sec per request you can see I'm an order of magnitude slower and quickly come to realize Gossamer has a smoking server!

Hope you enjoyed this little excursion.

Eric P

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use LWP::Simple;

my $start = time();
my $status;

for (1..$ARGV[0]){
$status =getstore("$ARGV[1]","/dev/null");
die "Couldn't get it!" unless is_success($status);
}

my $stop = time();
print "elapsed time = ",$stop-$start,"\n";
Quote Reply
Re: [Eric P] GF Performance Test In reply to
In Reply To:
When you compare that number to my .34 sec per request you can see I'm an order of magnitude slower and quickly come to realize Gossamer has a smoking server!

Our server itself is nothing extraordinary - a Dual Athlon MP 1200, with a gig and a half of RAM - no special SCSI drives, just ordinary 40 GB IDE drives. That said, we have some high performance settings for MySQL - we have it configured to use a large amount of memory, and we are using MySQL 4's new query caching (which, I am sure, is where most of the performance difference is to be found). Also - I'm assuming you tested gforum.cgi - we're running under mod_perl which often shows some improvement - albeit usually quite small - over SpeedyCGI.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] GF Performance Test In reply to
See also here: http://mypencil.org/archives/000862.html

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] GF Performance Test In reply to
What sort of traffic is GT getting on a monthly basis? (users/page views)

I have never seen the site down or really slow Wink

Cheers
Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] GF Performance Test In reply to
Quote:
have never seen the site down or really slow

I remember last year that the site seemed to have problems regarding MySQL. It seemed MySQL restarted itself almost daily, but I've not seen any of the GT error pages for at least 6 months.
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] GF Performance Test In reply to
In Reply To:
What sort of traffic is GT getting on a monthly basis? (users/page views)

I have never seen the site down or really slow Wink

Cheers
Klaus

My guess is about 30-40,000 visitors per day?

http://www.alexa.com/...mer-threads.com/#top
Quote Reply
Re: [cwi] GF Performance Test In reply to
Alexa ranks Google at 5 and Yahoo at 1 Wink