Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Forum 2.0 suggestion!

Quote Reply
Forum 2.0 suggestion!
Hi J-Man!

Had an unfortunate incident with a user yesterday, and it left me wishing for another option in GT Forum.

I banned a user, which, as you know, bans them from the current forum. Might be nice to be able to ban the user at the Category and Complete Board level, too.

On a not-so-serious note, an otion I have seen in other forums which might make a nice addition is the ability to make a forum not count toward a users total posts... like say a Foo directrory or a test directory. No so important, but thought I would throw it out!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Forum 2.0 suggestion! In reply to
Just disable their account.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Forum 2.0 suggestion! In reply to
In Reply To:
I banned a user, which, as you know, bans them from the current forum. Might be nice to be able to ban the user at the Category and Complete Board level, too.

This is already more-or-less present in the current version. In the post data section, you have:

Ban: User | IP | Site IP
Disable: User

The first two are visible to moderators; administrators can see all of them. The "Site IP" one bans their IP from the entire GForum installation (Admin -> Users -> Bans), and the Disable one disables the user entirely. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent them from signing up for another account - but a ban on the user obviously can't prevent this (but the Site IP ban can).

In Reply To:
On a not-so-serious note, an otion I have seen in other forums which might make a nice addition is the ability to make a forum not count toward a users total posts... like say a Foo directrory or a test directory. No so important, but thought I would throw it out!

That's certainly an interesting idea; I'll add it to the "good idea" list.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Forum 2.0 suggestion! In reply to
Hi Jagerman:

OK, I guess I am splitting hairs with you- sorry. I DID know about Disable user, but that disables the user until you reset it. The Ban User you can set for a week or so... I guess that is what I was getting at. They also work in slightly different ways, and have slightly different effects. In this case, I wanted the Ban not the disable "effect"... but like I said, I am splitting hairs here! The DO the same thing!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase

Last edited by:

carfac: Jun 18, 2003, 11:55 AM