Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Follow Person to Location

Quote Reply
Follow Person to Location
Um, lets say i saw someone in the who's online and it was someone who was my friend, and it said viewing posts (flat mode) or viewing forum . Would it be difficult to make a follow person function so when you click the link, it takes you to the post or forum they are in? Just wondering.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net

Last edited by:

Bmxer: Nov 30, 2001, 8:37 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Follow Person In reply to
Yeah I'd like to see more accuracy on the Who's Online page.
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Follow Person to Location In reply to
Why not just send the friend a private message?

Being able to see where they are doesn't give you the ability to communicate with the person, but sending them a message would.

Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Follow Person to Location In reply to
This has nothing to do with communicating with them. At least not my suggestion. It has to do with basically seeing where they are. Lets say i'm in announcements and you are in Perl and Cgi, and I go to who's online and see you're there viewing a post. I'll click the link and go to that exact post where you are. Not really about communication but seeing what you're up to.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Follow Person to Location In reply to
So you want to be able to spy on other users? Tongue

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Follow Person to Location In reply to
I wouldn't really call it spying but you can if you want. I'm just basically talking about an enhanced who's online.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Follow Person In reply to
Yes, this would be really useful.

I would like to get more info about the other parties who respond me.
What category he reads right now?
Which post is reading right now?

This "Detailed Location" info would be optional, so each user could turn it Off, if he thinks that somebody wants to spy him.
But in many cases, this detailed info would be useful, to follow if the correspondence partners are just replying my post or they are not interested to reply my post right now.
In that case I go away, coming back later, and I will not check the site every 3-4 minutes, to check, if there is already a reply for my post.

I think, this improved "Who's Online" feature could help the users to feel the GForum more interactive.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Follow Person In reply to
The way I see it is that the "who's online" page is already spying by telling you who is on the site, so it should at least give you some useful information Cool

Most stuff could stay as it is like:

Who's Online
Editing Profile

....or whatever....but viewing threads or posts would be nicer like:

Code:

Username Title Location Time seen
Paul Veteran Viewing Posts Apr 3, 2002, 4:31 PM
Re: Follow Person

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 3, 2002, 8:35 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Follow Person In reply to
In Reply To:
The way I see it is that the "who's online" page is already spying by telling you who is on the site
Well, not really, because the user can turn off his visibility. This way nobody can spy him.

As for the Who's Online format, I would better prefer a format like this:
Code:
Username Title Location Time seen
Paul Veteran Writing post reply Apr 3, 2002, 4:31 PM
to post: Re: Follow Person
in category: Gossamer Forum
The Category info is very important, I think.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Follow Person In reply to
Is it possible that it will implemented by GT or I should write a plugin for that?
Ideas, opinions?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support