Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Feature request (status inquiry)

Quote Reply
Feature request (status inquiry)
Since I see that v.1.1.4 is right around the corner, for the public, thought it might be time to scratch this itch again. I don't claim any of these to be orginal ideas.

Good products can always be better, and some wise guy always thinks he knows what that means right? Wink
  • Pin message to top. Perhaps with pinned message indicated by a nice little icon where the "lock" icon would appear?
  • Memo/News/Announcement feature. Perhaps placed between the category/forum titles and the category/forum table.
  • Gossamer Gallery - How about a sub package, add-on, or even separate package supporting an image gallery. Driven through and integrated with the Forums?
  • Avatar images, with user upload. I know you have it commented out. I have yet to get it working though <g>.
  • Moderator by Category.
  • 100% style sheet driven with good commentary on style elements and what they control.

I know you guys love these kinds of messages Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Feature request (status inquiry) In reply to
Add
  • Merge post with thread to that list (an oldie but a goodie).

Quote Reply
Here's another one, that should be fairly easy.
  • A mechanism to prevent user accounts with duplicate e-mail addresses.

Upon sign-up attempt with duplicate e-mail address, user could be promted with the other user ID and ask if they've forgotten their password.

Membership base of 300, I've manually cleaned out 6 duplicate accounts this morning and I'm only about half way through the db.
Quote Reply
I'm on a roll.
  • In admin tool, ability to search for users who have registered - but never logged in. (if this one is there I can't find it)

I'd like to be able to single these people out and send them a note.

I wonder how many users in Gossamer's huge user base fall into the same category? And wouldn't you like to be able to clean up the user base or send them a message and encourage them to log in? You know you do!
Quote Reply
hmmm what's there a thread that mentioned ... cutting out users who have never posted?
I bet something like that would be useful.

search and destroy type of thing.

dig for users who haven't logged in, who haven't posted and what not.

Then send off invitations to stop by before their registration runs out.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Couple of other features/bug fixes.

1. If a tag is disabled in admin, shouldn't that tag be hidden in posts? Example. I have "Size" and "Image" tags disabled. But if a user applies one of them, the tag's opening and closing statements are printed as part of the message.

2. Fix the spell check feature in private messaging.

3. Merge post to thread.

Perhaps these are addressed 1.1.4? Only the Shadow knows Tongue

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: Apr 22, 2002, 9:48 AM
Quote Reply
Others requests...
  1. A feature in "Search Posts" that allows users to show only the root posts in the results pages.
  2. A feature that allows users to rank the results of "Search Posts" in chronological order.

Thank you. Sorry for my bad english.

François

Last edited by:

Franco: Apr 22, 2002, 12:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] Feature request (status inquiry) In reply to
I noticed that an extra line appears at the bottom of each "Ordered list" and "Unordered list". It should not be there.

Thank you.

François
Quote Reply
If user-uploaded avatar support is problematic, how about user-referenced avatar support? in other words, users can specify a url to a file to be used as their avatar. Admin should be able to limit the HeightxWidth of the img tag used in the template (hopefully in the users--icons dialog instead of 'by hand :). An enhancement would be, in the config step, to make sure the file type is suported (.jp*g, .gif, .p*ng, etc).

Personally, I'd find that much more useful than a library of avatars for users to pick from, and which I'd end up having to administer. Let them use each others bandwidth as much as possible. ;)

--gleep
Hello! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature and help me spread!
Quote Reply
Re: [gleep] Feature request (status inquiry) In reply to
Having avatar graphics loading from other sites just sounds like a recipe for ugliness down the road (when those graphics no longer exist in those locations). I'd rather users be able to choose from a list of avatar graphics or upload them themselves.

But I haven't gotten the basic avatar stuff to work yet, that's on my list for this week or next, or maybe the week after. Cool
Quote Reply
You end up with the standard broken image icon and people make fun of them. :)

The worst ugliness I've seen is when some one tries to use a full-size image and the client browser has to rescale the thing. The same result occurs, however, in that other users whap some sense into them.

I plan on looking into the current method as well. At least my user base should be pretty small so it'd be easy to manage for them.

And is it just me, or is the default font for these text boxes really small?

--gleep
Quote Reply
Well my eyes are shot, so I keep my desktops cranked down to 1152 x 864. Still it's easily readible to me. If you're at 1600 x 1200 might suck a bit.

On avatar upload, you can restrict the image size and avoid that problem at least. But avatar upload isn't part of the Gforum package and isn't high up/ or on the list I suspect. Businesses aren't going to care for avatars, it's just the rest of us who like 'em Tongue

One of the drawbacks of perl, I guess, versus asp/php/etc.

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: May 1, 2002, 2:20 PM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
users can specify a url to a file to be used as their avatar. Admin should be able to limit the HeightxWidth of the img tag used in the template

One problem with that is that they can change the image at any time. So when they specify the image location (ie. when the code checks the image size), you could put a valid image there, but after it's been saved, it could be changed to a HUGE image.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Feature request (status inquiry) In reply to
In Reply To:
One problem with that is that they can change the image at any time. So when they specify the image location (ie. when the code checks the image size), you could put a valid image there, but after it's been saved, it could be changed to a HUGE image.

True, but if the proper image tag is limited to a max of, say, 65x65 that will save the display of the forum. It still means that the full image has to be downloaded by the client browser and scaled, but at least the bandwidth that's being used isn't from the forum server. :) But if the admin-set variable is 65x65, that gets suck in the tag and the client browser will scale a smaller image up or a larger one down as needed.

And heck, I change my image all the time... For the forums that allow url'd avatars, I point at a symlink and then I change the symlink to whatever avatar I feel like using. I keep them at 65x65 and around 4K for the most part.

There's a certain level of trust involved in any case. If you're not going to trust users enough to allow HTML or the markup tag in signatures or posts, then you're not going to allow this feature anyway. (A futher enhancement would be to have it allowable by user to squash those that might abuse the feature.)

And I think something like this would be used by businessmen... What I'd worry about most is company advertisements being used for the avatar. Which is a good reason to never, ever, allow an avatar to be clickable... Or at least make the admin modify the template themselves if they want it. ;)

--gleep

Last edited by:

gleep: May 1, 2002, 3:37 PM