Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Email
I have had problems during peak times with my email server not getting a lot of the script-generated emails. Alex or Jason was supposed to look at this months ago but I think they forgot :) This is still a VERY significant problem for me, as I have to send tons of people their welcome messages manually, and I have had to turn off many features like post notifications and watching threads. Anyhow, a user on my site suggested the following, and I wondered if it was something you all might consider, since it's way beyond my limited Perl knowledge.

Quote:
E, you might want to consider something similar for the "Welcome" email problem. Create an email work order queue table in the database for welcome message emails and limit the server to only being able to send a certain number of them over specific periods of time (say only 10 every hour or whatever works). That way, if load gets too high, then it will only send a fixed amount of welcome messages and the rest will fall into the queue and be processed later when load lessens and the queue starts freeing up. Alternatively it could hold ALL welcome messages in the work order queue during peak hours or show days and only send them during off peak times (weekends or 4AM for instance) You know when those times are better than I.

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Email In reply to
Don't know about your server setup, but mine has limits on how long it will let any particular script run before it kills it.

E-mail generation seems to be very slow from what I've observed. Just sending a custom note to 10 users awaiting validation takes 12 to 14 seconds.

And forget about nightly sends to all the forum subscribers.

As your system is vastly more active than mine, I wonder if you might have a similar problem but with more routine e-mails? My smaller forum system chokes on the big e-mail transmissions but handles the routine stuff okay - at least to my knowledge.

Plus I'm another NT/Win2K user like you.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Email In reply to
>>
E-mail generation seems to be very slow from what I've observed. Just sending a custom note to 10 users awaiting validation takes 12 to 14 seconds.
<<

What mail server do you use?...smtp or?
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Email In reply to
Thanks, but I don't think it ever gets to the server-- I've done test password retrievals and checked the queues and logs and some emails just don't exist. I haven't noticed the mail routine taking a long time during the tests. I use SMTP through an IMAIL server

Realiiity.com Forums
Quote Reply
Re: [ellipsiiis] Email In reply to
If possible, try specifying another SMTP server, and see if that fixes the problem. It could be the SMTP server being too overloaded to handle sending e-mails.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Email In reply to
I only have one SMTP server that is accessible. The servers I have on other sites are shared accounts that have security settings in place that mail can't be sent without a password.

During peak times I've sent mail through the webmail interface and through just a regular email program, and it has never had a problem getting through, so I think it's something script related.

Realiiity.com Forums

Last edited by:

ellipsiiis: Jun 29, 2002, 4:38 PM