Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Deleting of old Posts

Quote Reply
Deleting of old Posts
Hi,

I've tried the (german) demo-version of gforum. Very nice work! (I've used UBB for a long time.)

But I'm missing one option: Comfortable Deleting of old Posts.

Just delete all old Postings older than x days is not enough. I need to have different settings for the different forums. Will you add this feature? Also it would be great if I can quick-browse through the postings and mark checkboxes for deleting.

Is it save to use MySQL-Man and delete old Postings in the table "Posts"?

Regards
J. Petersen
Quote Reply
Re: [petersenj] Deleting of old Posts In reply to
I would recommend against removing posts via MySQLMan. Information about specific posts is stored in several tables, and keeping them in sync is tough. Although it might work, you might also run into problems.

I have just finished a change for the upcoming 1.2.0 release that allows you to delete old posts on a per-forum basis (and hence I'm moving this thread into the Discussion forum for anyone else to look at). I've attached the updated files for people who want to check this out now, rather than wait a couple weeks for the 1.2.0 release.

Unfortunately, I don't have the translated versions yet, so the template below is only available in English - but will still work with non-English versions of the forum (albeit in English).

The files below (Right-click -> Save Target As...) are as follows:

Forum.pm -> replaces admin/GForum/Forum.pm
Post.pm -> replaces admin/GForum/Post.pm
posts_delete_old.html -> replaces admin/templates/admin/posts_delete_old.html

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Deleting of old Posts In reply to
Hi Jason,

Great feature! Smile I will try it as soon as I can. Suggestion: it would be great if we could set easily cron jobs for deleting automatically old posts in specific forums.

Did you solve the problem that appears when deleting old private messages? See: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=226379#226379.

Thank you!

François

Last edited by:

Franco: Jan 31, 2003, 12:09 PM
Quote Reply
Antwort: [Jagerman] Re: [petersenj] Deleting of old Posts In reply to
thanks alot

my MSN: perlchina_at_hotmail.com
Quote Reply
Hi Jag...

I am new to GForum and I want to make sure I check with you first before I do this.Blush

The addition of the delete per thread option is great.

You have 3 files that make this possible listed here to download. My question is do I have to do anything else to these files or any other files for that matter before or after I upload them to my server? I have v1.1.8.

Will there ever be an option that allow the admin to delete certain individual threads via a checkbox?

Thank you immensely...

-Sophia
~§ophia~
Quote Reply
Re: [sophiabarton] Deleting of old Posts In reply to
Nope, you don't need to do anything with the files - just download them and upload them, replacing the existing files that I indicated.

The individual delete threads is possibly a version 2 feature.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I appreciate it.

Sophia
~§ophia~