Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Decide what name is shown

Quote Reply
Decide what name is shown
Hi Andy,
in Wordpress there is an option in the admin panel, where users can decide what name is shown in posts or comments.
They can decide if the username, the surname, lastname or nickname is shown.

Do you think you can write a plugin for this, certainly for the new gforum 2.0.
I know we have to wait for the release, but do you think something like this is possible?

Thanks
Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] Decide what name is shown In reply to
Hi,

You shoudn't need a plugin to do it :)

You could just do it with a couple of new fields - and a bit of editing in the templates - so it shows what the user has opted to show.

As you say though, now that GForum 2.x is coming pretty soon - it makes more sense to wait for that, before doing these changes =) (I think GT are aiming for next month at some point - so keep your eyes open for an announcement Cool)

Wow - just tried the built in spell checker too - much better than the crappy "popup" suggestions thing that is in GForum 1.x - I can't wait <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Decide what name is shown In reply to
Hi Andy,
thanks for your answer.
I agree it does not make sense to change the old forum.
I hope you can help me a little bit with the changes, when the new forum comes out.
I really need something like this, cause I forced my users long time ago to register with a username like surname_lastname. And there are not much users who will write forum posts without a nickname...

Matthias
gpaed.de