Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Days to save new post data - field ?

Quote Reply
Days to save new post data - field ?
When I add a new forum, there is a field which is called "Days to save new post data"....."90".
Does this mean that a all messages will be deleted after 90 days ? I do not want to have messages deleted. What do I have to put in this field ? Leave it blank ?

Thanks,

Erich

Quote Reply
Re: [erichcyber] Days to save new post data - field ? In reply to
No, it won't delete anything - it is an optimization that was added quite some time ago to forget the "new" data (i.e. how many "new" posts are in a forum) after a certain number of days. That is, if I enter the "Chit Chat" forum once, and don't enter it again for 90 days, it will revert to showing all posts in that forum as new. It only really matters on quite large forums (i.e. 30,000+ posts in a single forum). You can disable the optimization by setting the value to 0, in which case "new" data will never be forgotten. Doing so won't hurt anything - you can always turn it back on later. The symptom is that the main index page will load quite a bit slower when logged in, particularly if there are a lot of busy forums that you haven't visited in a while.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Days to save new post data - field ? In reply to
Many thanks Jagerman !
This Forum is just the best !!!

Have a nice weekend,

Erich