Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Comment table request

Quote Reply
Comment table request
What do you think about an option to allow a "comment" or "memo" section placed above or below a category/forum table that would allow us to provide additional information on that category/forum?

Such an option could have a lot of uses. If it allowed markup, I'd love to be able to add a note about where visitors could go (through a hyperlink) for more information on that particular forum.

My .02 bits and counting.

Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Comment table request In reply to
Been requested before...It may be on the list of enhancements already...which as Alex mentioned in another thread will be reviewed and prioritized.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Comment table request In reply to
Is a user help/faq on that list or has anybody else written one? I'm having a hard time motivating myself to write one Smile.
Quote Reply
There is a "Help" page called Get Markup Help, which has information on using the web forms in the forum.

Go to "Post" or "Reply" and click on Get Markup Help.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I'm thinking more along the lines of general help for users. Large portion of my site's audience is made up of senior citizens. While they're are taking to the net in considerable numbers, they don't necessarily have an intuitive grasp for web applications.

In a lot of the things I have done online, I've found step by step instructions are needed to smooth the learning curve.

One of the other things I'll need to do is make the "Sign up for Account" more obvious like you've done with your forum.

My forum in development is located here: http://www.heavybombers.com/forums

Last edited by:

heavybombers: Jan 1, 2002, 10:48 AM
Quote Reply
Would be a simple matter of editing the template files and also adding new template files.

May be GT will create a set of FAQs for the forum and update them as the web application evolves. However, I've found it better to create my own set of FAQs and help pages, so that I can customize to better fit my primary target audiences.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I agree with Eliott,

You'll find that different sites generate many different queries. Just using email for a while and generating a FAQ page based on the questions that you recieve would be more effective.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Hi,

We added a description field for categories in 1.1, and forums also have descriptions you can use. Or are you describing something different?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Comment table request In reply to
Alex,

Something different. An option, based on category or forum. Attached is what such an addition might look like. I think it would be useful in forums where lots of hand holding is required or where you wish to impart more information.
Quote Reply
Looks to me like a forum description...Simple matter of editing the template files...and also allowing markup language in the forum description field/column.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me