Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Closing markup tags

Quote Reply
Closing markup tags
The issue of ignoring markup tags such as [code] which do not have closing tags ([/code]) has been brought up in a couple of threads now, and I'd like to tackle this issue.

As I have mentioned before, it is not possible to look for unclosed tags due to the structure and admin customizability present.

However, I think I may have a partial solution, however it does have a drawback. I'm interested in feedback on this idea as I have not decided whether or not it is a worthwhile addition.

Basically, when you post a message, your post will be checked for closing tags for things like [code], [red], [#FF0000], [reply], etc. If you don't have a closing tag, the tag itself will be escaped (and therefore the markup will be ignored).

This also means there needs to be a way to escape tags - my thinking so far is that tags starting with a "." will have the dot chopped off when displayed. So, [.code] will show up in posts as [code], but will not be treated like a [code] tag.

So, let's say my post looks like the following line:

[code]abc def ghi[code]

What would happen is that since the code tags are unterminated, the line would be converted to this:

[.code]abc def ghi[.code]

and so it would show up as:

[code]abc def ghi[code]

instead of the mess that might otherwise show up.

I'd like to hear any feedback or suggestions any of you may have regarding this issue.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com

Last edited by:

jagerman: Sep 9, 2001, 3:17 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Closing markup tags In reply to
*bumps the post up to the top* Wink

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Hi,

Its a nice idea but Im not sure its worth the effort on your part.

Surely if people just take the time to re-read their post then they can make sure the tags are terminated.

Either that or edit the post if they spot a mistake.

Quote Reply
That's pretty much what I'm thinking - although I do like the idea of forum markup comments and I've added that already (locally). Sly

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
How about this ...

Like I posted int he smiley thread ... allowing the user to click on the codes instead of typing them out too!

less things to forget since you see them on top of the post area. either can be done in pairs and then mouse in between the code areas or 1 side at a time open -- then --- close.

error checking would also be nice though. user simple wise that is.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
But would making all sorts of buttons for all the different markup make the page too messy? I'm in support of buttons for the [:)]'s, but I think buttons for [code], [red], [quote], etc. would be too confusing for users - it might overwhelm and leave a messy impression.

What I could do would be to put some checking in the Preview - when you hit preview, it could display warnings about unclosed tags. I want to avoid throwing too much into the post writing page in the risk that it may harm the feel of the page and site.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads

Last edited by:

jagerman: Sep 9, 2001, 8:49 PM
Quote Reply
I'm lazy and hate checking my posts ... I try to help out in dbman and checking multiple forums is time consuming hence skipping the preview ... yeah I know what's a few seconds ... just that a few lazy seconds [;)]

Paul mentioned putting the Icon: area to 1 line.
The next line of code could contain the smileys and basic code snippets.

colors well ... I don't see them used often so ... could skip those.

also ... along a dbman idea. if per admin XXX might be interesting as in if per user config ( list markup code )

I've never seen this done ( or haven't notice) but making what icons are avaliable to use as a configuration setup might be interesting ...

haha, I'm not a programmer so I have no idea what kind of technicalities would be involved .... I wonder what the opinion would be on this.

Quote Reply
Um, I'm sorry, but I can't make heads or tails of this line:
In Reply To:
also ... along a dbman idea. if per admin XXX might be interesting as in if per user config ( list markup code )

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
sorry ...

[code]
print qq!| <A HREF="$db_script_link_url&admin_display=1">Admin</A> ! if ($per_admin);
[/code]

where in between the print statement could be the smiles that would be listed. and of cours the

[code]
if ($per_admin); ---> if ($per_use_config);
[/code]

errr ... I wish I could explain this better...

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
errr ... I wish I could explain this better...

Me too! Crazy

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
you poking fun at me [:P] err .... [tongue] that's not fair .... [;)]

waaaaaaa waaaaaa

now I'm gonna kindly request that you code [:P] instead of "[ tongue ]" which I keep spelling with a "Q"

haha
---------------------------------------------------------
Seriously though, I have no Idea about coding but I thought it might be cool that users could define which ---icons / smileys / code --- would show above the Post: box ...

haha, the above sentence makes more sense finally.

Quote Reply
A problem I'm experiencing is turning markup on/off - it is off by default and then changes if you turn it on and edit your post or preview it etc.....

How hard would it be to auto-detect if a post contains markup and turn markup on if detected?

.......or have a profile option to have markup on/off by default?

Also "Send e-mail notification on reply" un-ticks itself when you go to edit a post - maybe that should be ticked still if you ticked it originally.

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 10, 2001, 3:44 AM
Quote Reply
I have noticed that it changes in the preview option too. But when i go on markup is automatically on. Oh, i'm almost positive they already do have a profile option to have it on.

Go to Edit Profiles -> Display Profiles
there should be Default Post Style, etc...

Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
I think the markup option in the profile is for global viewing, not whether you want markup on/off by default in your posts.

Quote Reply
Oh. Well, i thought it was for posts b/c i went and changed it to plain text only, and when i clicked reply just now to type this, plain text only was selected, while before, markup was selected.

Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Hmm I think you are right it does say "Post style"

In my profile I have "Markup and HTML" selected but I still get plaintext selected on the post page.

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 10, 2001, 11:13 AM
Quote Reply
Me too. I lost my automatic markup selection. soemthing must have gotten changed Frown