Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Bulk user add through query

Quote Reply
Bulk user add through query
I have a moderated e-mail list of 750+ subscribers that I would like to convert over to forums.

Instead of adding them one by one, or requesting they swap over, I would like to be more proactive. Change is difficult and I don't plan to be gentle :-)

Could a query be written that would parse a delimited file of e-mail addresses to create user names and temp passwords, and then e-mail out validation messages to each address containing the new username and pass?

ex. JohnDoe@hotmail.com would become user "johndoe".

Obviously this could be abused, but in this case I have a double opt-in list to play with. Thoughts?

Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Bulk user add through query In reply to
That would be possible. It shouldn't be too difficult to use if you use GT modules. Take a look at GT::Mail, or you can always just use 'standard' mail modules. You'll want to use the GT modules to add the users though. I'd probably use their email as their username (there will probably be lots of duplicates if you use their user part of the email), and they would be able to change it later if they wanted to.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Bulk user add through query In reply to
You got any way for a mere mortal [tm] and not a perl god [tm] to do that?

Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Bulk user add through query In reply to
Actually you can drop this. I've decided to go with the "Move to the forums or get left behind" type of pitch.

I figure I'll lose 2/3rds of the list with any transition we make. I'll be curious to see how this goes.