Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Bug with posts views ?

Quote Reply
Bug with posts views ?
Hi,

I found in my forum that many threads don't display the same number of views in forum_view.html and in include_post_display.html. I checked in the gforum_PostView table and few posts don't have effectively the same number in the column post_views and in the column post_thread_views. Most of the time when there is a difference post_threads_views number is higher of 1 to 10 views than post_views number. I really don't understand why there is sometimes a difference between these two variables. Any idea?

I found on this forum many threads with a difference between post_views and post_thread_views. Here a example: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=224638#224638.

Thank you.

François

Last edited by:

Franco: Jan 2, 2003, 10:56 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] Bug with posts views ? In reply to
Hi François,

This is the normal behaviour for Gossamer Forum. It happens because the post views and thread views are stored seperately. Whenever a user views a post (or list of posts), each post viewed has the post view number incremented, and the thread has the views incremented. As a result, when users view a very long thread with multiple pages (in flat mode) or view several posts in threaded mode, the thread views will often be higher than the post views. In fact, the opposite should not occur - the thread views should always be as high as, if not higher, than the views of any individual post.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Bug with posts views ? In reply to
Thank you, Jason, for your answer.

I forgot the threaded mode... Blush Now I understand why there is a difference.

Thank you! Smile

Last edited by:

Franco: Jan 7, 2003, 1:13 PM