Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Basic Steps "How to use Gossamer Forum"

Quote Reply
Basic Steps "How to use Gossamer Forum"
Hi everyone

I've just had Forum installed by GT - on the same server as a new LinksSQL installation, I'm ok with the LinksSQL program, now running 2 licensed sites, I know how to do most of the stuff to build a directory with this.....but...

I can't seem to find the basic instructions on how or where to start building / developing a forum

Can anybody help with a "basic steps on how to start a forum"

Thanks
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] Basic Steps "How to use Gossamer Forum" In reply to
Hi, Colin.

The Gossamer Forum manual (available in the download area) should answer most of your basic questions about getting your forum up and running.
The set up goes just like Links SQL, setting up the databases and paths.

Your admin area is very similar, as well.

First, you need to secure the admin area, if you haven't.

Second, you need to set up a Category. "Announcements" is a good default first category.

Then, you can set up forums within that Category.

Once you do that, the forum will pop alive, and you can more easily see changes you make reflected in the on-line presence.

GF is probably one of the easiest programs to set up, and get running out of the box. No tricks, no traps, to setting up your basic message areas. I think it was also the first they tested their web-install on, so it was designed from ground up to be as simple as possible. :)

Payment system is more complicated, and I haven't quite got the hang of that yet.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Basic Steps "How to use Gossamer Forum" In reply to
Thanks guys

I had also emailed GT staff - who were helpful, GT forum is installed - GT staff did that & I got the manual.

I had created a "test" category in order to start using & learning about GTforum - but I couldn't see the forum!

This was the problem, where was the forum?

"see changes you make reflected in the on-line presence"

I guess it was obvious once I got the url from GT staff.

The forum that I'm creating is to help and support a UK "non commercial" organisation that has about 10 million members.

At present there is no obvious forum for them to use.

Any tips, help or advice is welcome.

Thanks agin.
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] Basic Steps "How to use Gossamer Forum" In reply to
Categories group forums. Did you create a forum in the category? For example, "Products" is a category with our various products being sub-categories. This Discussion forum is inside the Gossamer Forum sub-category.

Adrian