Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Bans resetting or canceled

Quote Reply
Bans resetting or canceled
Heya,

I have a problem on my forums that bans seem to canceled after they've been set. I've installed the patch in the Bugs forum.

People often PM me after they've been banned. Is there a possibility that a ban resets if I reply to a PM? That's all I can think of. It seems to happen without rhyme or reason. The bans sometimes stick for half a day, sometimes longer, sometimes just a few hours.

Any thoughts?

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Bans resetting or canceled In reply to
Are you referring specifically to forum bans, or site-wide bans?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Bans resetting or canceled In reply to
Jason,

I'm referring to forum bans. This problem still persists. I've been trying to figure out why this happens with no luck. Forum bans simply disappear or gets removed at some stage... it normally doesn't even stay active for a day.

I don't think it has anything to do with PMs anymore as I originally suspected.

Safe swoops
Sangiro

Last edited by:

sangiro: Feb 11, 2003, 10:50 PM
Quote Reply
I've made a possible fix to the GForum/Bans.pm file, and attached it here. Can you let me know if it fixes the problem for you?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Feb 15, 2003, 7:44 PM
Quote Reply
Thanks Jason. I replaced this file and so far so good. Bans seem to be sticking now and I set some test bans for a day only... those ere removed after a day I they should be. May want to add this fix to the Bug Fix forum. Smile

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
I'll wait a couple days to make sure it isn't just a fluke that it's working for you Wink

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Jason,

You were right... I spoke too soon! Frown

Bans in one of my forums are still sticking since I made this patch but in another forum a ban that was supposed to be active till the 21st of this month got removed again last night....

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Hmmm... Try replacing this one as well (admin/GForum/Authenticate.pm). These two files are the only two places bans are deleted, with one exception of user bans that are deleted when the user a ban applies to is deleted.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Jason,

Just an FYI (not sure if Alex had told you) This Bans.pm file had a syntax error that killed my mod_perl server every time at midnight when it gets restarted to rotate the log files.

Code:
Unable to load GForum::Bans::forum_ban_list: syntax error
at GForum::Bans::forum_ban_list line 92, near "'>' 0"

Other than that, the bans are still sticking after I installed the new Authenticate.pm file. I'll keep you posted.

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Strange. I just took a look at the file and can't see anything wrong in that area of the code.

I also uploaded Bans.pm to my copy and restarted mod_perl but didn't get the error.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Bans resetting or canceled In reply to
That's weird (unless it's been changed already in the copy here) I'm just passing on what I got from Alex...

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
I think perhaps one of the staff changed it.

The error pinpoints '>' 0 but the actual code is '>' => 0 so it looks like it was edited.
Quote Reply
I changed it on your server when the first alert came in about mod_perl being unable to start, then edited my post here, uploading the fixed copy Smile. For the record, I was missing a '=>'.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Nope - still resetting! A ban that was supposed to expire on the 21st of this month disappeared last night. Unsure

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Jason,

I till have this same problem. The bans on my forums are still resetting themselves randomly. This makes it really hard for me to manage some unwelcome posters in the way I'd like to. Some bans seem to stick... others reset. I set 3 bans for 2 days today. 2 of the 3 has already reset. 1 is still active.

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Hi Sangiro,

I think I've tracked this one down - it appears that the bans were being reset in the Poll plugin. I've fixed it up on your copy, and sent a note to Yogi about it.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
I have updated the plugin, and included Jason's fix.

Sorry for this. I hope it works now.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Bans resetting or canceled In reply to
Most excellent. Thank you gentlemen. Smile

Safe swoops
Sangiro