Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Banning & unbanning

Quote Reply
Banning & unbanning
We're really struggling with this part of the set-up. If someone bans a user from a specific forum, we can't find a way to "view" forum bans and therefore remove them.

To get around this problem, I gave all moderators "administrator" status (but no password to the admin section itself) and told them to IP ban rather than user or forum-specific ban, so at least I could go to "Users>Edit bans" and see what was banned and remove it if necessary, but....

Even when I go to "edit bans" and remove an Ip from the list, it re-bans persistently for a period. (We tested on my own IP)

So, we need to know how to view all bans - forum specific and/or user, and how to unban them definitively, as it is awkward enough to have to edit bans before I post anything myself but hardly practicable for anyone who doesn't have access to the administration section - i.e. everyone but davidnavigator and myself!

... And yes, I can change my Ip, so that's not the issue, it's how to manage genuine bans that is the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: [bluesnavigator] Banning & unbanning In reply to
Hi,

The editing/viewing bans interface needs to be improved, and is something we are working on. If you aren't able to remove a forum/site ip ban, please send an email to support-gforum at gossamer-threads.com with admin access and steps on how we can reproduce it, and we'll take a look.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Banning & unbanning In reply to
Hi,

OK, so I'm an idiot and couldn't see the link at the bottom of the forum pages for removing bans Blush - very sorry, and many thanks to you guys (esp. Jason) for coming along to try & sort this and the IP re-banning problem.

Quite possible the re-banning issue was due to them testing all types of ban on my IP/login - being the only "safe" one as I have the admin access to remove them. Should we genuinely be banning IP's and latterly re-allowing them and it re-occurs, I'll let you know, but otherwise I think we can assume it's just not a good idea to simultaneously forum/user/IP ban the same person ... especially the site admin! Laugh