Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Ban user function

Quote Reply
Ban user function
Is it possible, without altering the current Gforum code, to ban IP ranges from even being allowed to browse the forums?

I'm having a terrible problem with spammers extracting names & data from the forums and then turning back around and bombarding these same users with the info. Basically they extract a name (a dead relative's name & info) that they posted, and then they're spammed with targetted crap. "Claim your dead relatives effects & forgotten property", etc.

I suggest that all users not post a public address in their profile, or in their messages, but you know how that goes.

If I could ban entire regions my users would be better off. Ideally I'd ban Asia, Africa, all the small island states, and South America. Drastic I know given that the Internet thrives (requires) open borders....but for my site focus and needs - it wouldn't be a loss.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Ban user function In reply to
Scott:

You have your own server, right? What OS do you run? FreweBSB has a nifty thing in it called "IPFW" that is great for cutting some people out- a software firewall basically. I would be happy to help you get that going, if that is an option for you. If not, I do have another method that may help- PM me for details.
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase