Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Are there any Markup tags to create basic table structures in a message post?

Quote Reply
Are there any Markup tags to create basic table structures in a message post?
Hello,

I remember seeing this on a forum a year or so ago that which the forum didn't allow any html code, but it had some [bb] codes that would produce a pretty basic table
From what I remember, it was just like the html counterpart such as [table]
[tr][td]text[/td][td]more text[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Something such as that.

Is that a built in thing to Gforum? Or would it even be possible for me to just make simple markup tags that replace <table> with [table] etc?

Is there a security risk in allowing users to use simple html tags such as [table] [tr] [td] etc?
Quote Reply
Re: [Westin] Are there any Markup tags to create basic table structures in a message post? In reply to
Mmm, I would be inclined to say don't do it. Imagine, someone makes a table - but doesn't close it properly. It would screw up the whole page design on that thread.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Are there any Markup tags to create basic table structures in a message post? In reply to
Well, there must be something that prevents it anyway, I created the tags for it to replace [table] with <table> but they still appear as just [table] so not sure what's going on with that.

It would be nice if there were certain tags that were only usable by moderators and administrators, so that at least we could put together proper looking data information instead of the sloppy looking stuff I have to put out now.

Perhaps the forum I tried it in wasn't set to accept html so it didn't translate the tags, that's possible.

I'm going to guess that the other forums that I've seen use this must be smart forums in that they can read the code when someone uses the table bb code and closes the tags if the user didn't.
Quote Reply
Re: [Westin] Are there any Markup tags to create basic table structures in a message post? In reply to
Nope, the forum was set to accept both html and markup, it's the oddity of the advanced editor vs the basic editor. Apparently when in the advanced editor Im only allowed to do markup, when Im in the basic editor I can do what ever I like, html, markup, text etc. Darn Odd.
Quote Reply
You REALLY shouldn't allow html on your forums as that's a huge XSS vulnerability (people stealing sessions, etc) risk there. The option is really only there for old time's sake.

Adrian