Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

An online editor

Quote Reply
An online editor
Something that would be very cool is an online editor for posts.

What we have here is similar but I don't find the code, reply, etc buttons that intuitive..not for power users (it takes a second if you are used to forum software or html. The open tag, close tag thing would be a problem for a lot of people, I guess) but for normal people...
Quote Reply
Re: [patagon] An online editor In reply to
Hi,

Do you have any examples of how this would work?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] An online editor In reply to
Alex:

Here is an example: http://www.hycenter.net/hybbs/post.php?forum=3&type=a&frame=0

and another, all taken from old discussions at wwwhtreads: http://mtvwebdesign.hypermart.net/products/freecards/demos/example1.html (this one is not on a forum, but the idea is tha same).

What I thought could be useful is finding some way of replacing the code, reply, quote, etc buttons here with something like that. What I mean is that I like the simplicity and clean look of the buttons here, my only concern is weather everybody understands (on a non technical forum) the open/close tag method. The examples here are more "word-like"
Quote Reply
interesting ... hehe ... the message posting area on the chinese site looks like an actual word processor/browser

the other site on hypermart is not bad either.

interesting ideas for sure ... the evolution of a BBS interface ... GUI that is ...

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] An online editor In reply to
But the thing with creating such an editor is browser compatibility. It's very hard to create one that works for beginners, and also works for or the browsers out there (or even just IE mac/windows, Netscape/Mozilla).

The one on the chinese site didn't work at all in Mozilla...

Adrian
Quote Reply
Ah, something like:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/html_editor/

Won't be in 1.0, but maybe in a future version.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] An online editor In reply to
Alex - the man who reads what I don't post.

I totally forgot to post that ... I was thinking of LinksSQL with it's built in editor and WHAMO Alex posts what I forgot Cool

Thanks for picking up what I left off.

Definately something like that would be interesting to run as a test ... as in to see what other folks think.

Smile

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] An online editor In reply to
What I meant (and of course others may think different) is that maybe a similar approach could be used for the existing buttons.
I don't think this will work on browsers other than IE (I didn't check) but that is more than enough for a lot of sites, as long as non capable browsers are not affected (i.e. standard textarea). Depending on the site, non IE browsers may be more a important number. There may be other issues (using a system like this) that I don't know...what i did was basically copy something that was discused some time ago at wwwthreads...